Wednesday, February 13, 2008

LOW IODINE diet update. it is looking up.

tonight i had homemade pico de gallo which is always heavenly. but no tortilla's to make chips yet. so i ate it on top of lettuce. like a salad. and it's really my fave part of tacos or taco salad anyway. apparently it looked really good becuase Peyton came up and begged for some. had a bite, LOVED it and begged for more. i shared a little then he had some with chips.

and when Lance got home from scouts. i went to Trader Joe's and found the corn tortillas i needed. the ingredients? CORN, LIME, WATER. that is it. i cut them up, fried them and salted 'em with my regular salt. not iodized of course. and i had some more chips and salsa. fabulous.

i also got some shredded wheat with no salt. fabulous by the handful!
and some whole wheat pasta. i am gonna have to whip up my own sauce. with the salt free tomatoes, diced and paste. mango sauce has approved things. and so did the trader joes apple sauce. i know ! fancy dinners.

and i found some salt free margarine. at Basha's -no butter-no dairy, no salt. YUM
and i was extra thrilled to find some salt free ketchup. OH YEAH! otherwise i was gonna make my own of that crap. i can add my salt. pretty pathetic but i was thrilled. and i also picked up a bunch of veggies to make a soup. cabbage, carrots, celery, potatoes, onions. fancy cooking now!!

and in the organic section i found salt free soup, two kinds even- lentil and minestrone. easy meal.

and best part? i got bread flour and yeast i will be making my own bread.and rolls. i have never before but there is a first time for everything. awesome!

i know it all sounds delicious! you are jealous right?

and for some reason when you can't have stuff it all sounds extra good. like ice cream, and cookies. holiday cookies. i guess i could whip up some of those also. why not! i am feeling darn domestic. who knew? well i have always been domestic. i just squelch it.

and the kids are all into the why i need this diet. and am i gonna get skinny from it? yeah it isn't that kind of diet. i could get skinny from not eating. but. it isn't likely to happen in a week.
shoot.

and just so you know tons of shelves at Trader Joe's got the bird tonight. and at Sprouts too. all of the salad dressing aisles. and other shelves too. mainly the tortilla chip rack. homemade is good. though. yay for that.

whah whah whah!

it will be over soon. and this is journally and who knows maybe i'll get on google for this too. that would be RAD!

9 comments:

Susie said...

One night a little boy creeps out of bed and sneaks downstairs to where the 'big' people are eating mcdonalds. All of a sudden adults hear a tiny voice (can't see where it's from) that states, "I like cheeseburgers."
so, you hear me repeating it every so often.

I like chips and pico de gallo!

Susie said...

I like Trader Joe's.

AutoSysGene said...

I like Trader Joe's when I'm depriving myself (come on, that's what your doing, right ;))

Just a few more days now right?

onehm said...

Seriously, I can't read your posts and not smile...or actually LOL, not just the saying- actually audibly laugh. You are awesome.

What got me on this post was the part where you were saying that tons of shelves at Trader Joe's got the bird.
HILARIOUS!

Glad that things are looking better for the diet. I'm impressed with your domestic skillz!!!

tammy said...

Good finds! And I LOL at you flipping the bird at those shelves, too. At least it's only a week, and not a lifetime. Could you only imagine?

So do you have a mixer for your bread, or will you be kneading it by hand? I just got an awesome homemade bread recipe. I haven't made it myself, but my friend makes it for me all the time. She used to sell it, it's that good.

Good luck with the next few days!

Cecily R said...

MAN you're good! I think I'd crumple into a corner if I had to be creative and smart about what I made for myself. I am impressed and bow to your non-iodine superiority! :)

janna said...

I am so proud of you!!! Keep up the good work!

Debra said...

GASP! YOU HAVE TRADER JOE'S??? WAHHHHHHH!!!!! I SO miss that store. Oh my freak... when we lived in the DC area, we would go on date night and get the Ghirdellia(sp?) chunks of chocolate!! Yum!

Ok.. so this diet thing.. sorry to side track you with no-no's.. You will LOVE your own bread. once you start making it, you will not want to go back!

kay said...

i love trader joe's!! we just got one about 6 months ago and it's not close but i do so love to be there!

you sound like you are doing well. i know you can keep it up!!

have a super-duper sweet day, sweet sweet lady!!

Crazymama's RAD Followers

Get up and dance!


do you ever feel like............

do you ever feel like............