Sunday, September 14, 2008

tales from the reluctant hostess.

let me tell you know. i don't enjoy hostessing.

ever.

even when it is considered a success by those in attendance.

it's true.

I HATE IT.

isn't' that horrible?

i think it is. (and yet, i can't get out of the dread that comes with hostessing a function.)

tonight's Function? was "Family Snack Night"- which means my mom, my aunt, my siblings, a couple select cousins and their families come over to the assigned house every other week. and it rotates in age order throughout the year. and instead of doing family dinner for the whole 40 plus people in the fam. we do SNACKS. as hard or a simple as you want. whatever you want. anything goes. and the point of snack night? we are essentially guaranteed to see my family 2 times a month, if everyone does their night. the kids love it. it's only a couple times a year each. and is supposed to be fun.

there are those of us though, that have been known to be unreliable in the hostessing department(read FLAKEY). i am one of them. and because of that i get a reminder call a few days before warning me it's my turn, and to plan on it. either at my house on Sunday, or the park on Monday.i always want to do the park so i don't have to prep the house for company, but lance likes to do it at our house. but I've done pretty well recently when it was my turn, and followed through. the last two times we have had it here at my craptastic house.

and actually we rotate between snacks and FHE (family home evening) and we used to do snacks every week, and FHE on the first Monday of the month plus snacks and other family parties but some in laws thought it was too much family fun. so we cut back. this IS CUTTING BACK. 2 times a month.

so tonight was my night. to hostess. DREAD!

the HORROR.

yes i would have to clean my house for company. even if it's family it had to be cleaned. and no it wasn't clean . it never is. i kind of need a reason to clean. and this is it. so we cleaned. actually Lance cleaned a bunch yesterday, while i ran errands alone. it was glorious and i got so much done but i digress, I'll get back to cleaning for company. and hostessing. OY!

so last night, in my effort to clean i ended up distracted and cleaning the girls room. not really going to be the most important room in the house but seriously needed it. and then Janie called and said she was stopping by so i said,"come in, and i will load you up with the next couple sizes of hand me downs." so she stood there with me while i went through all the closets of clothes that don't fit my kids but I'd never purged. the baby girl stuff, that Hope has outgrown but i never passed on yet. and the infant boy stuff that needed passed on to Joe. and the boy clothes that Pierce won't fit in for a couple years fit a couple nephews perfectly. i got rid of 13 bags of clothes. mostly grocery bags and a couple bigger ones. but still that is a BOATLOAD OF cuteness. passed on to my sisters. lucky them. most of them, i could say, what went together and where it was purchased and for what kid. and some things i was sad to see go but why hoard the stuff, when i have no babies coming? gold star for me for sharing the wealth.

anyway.i got off course again. lance was not super thrilled with my use of cleaning time to sort and purge, when it's crunch time before a party. but at least i cleared up a BUNCH of hangers for all the new labor day Saver's mountain of crap TREASURES ( that had been sitting on my front room couch since labor day. yeah i am awesome.)

Lance had to sort it all while i was baking. yes i baked for snacks.

there is always the dilemma of what to serve?

usually i go to Costco and buy whatever assortment of desserts sounds good to me. or we do Homemade ice cream. and brownies from a box.

but today i wanted to bake.

RIDICULOUS!

so i stood in the kitchen baking for roughly 4 hours. cookies galore. and i hand rolled most of them. 8 batches? i think. of cookies. homemade, mostly from scratch cookies. i don't even know how many batches went in and out of the Oven. loads. LOADS!

some were doubled recipes. and some were mix and matched. like I'd double it. set aside half the dough. add mini M&M's and then with the other half add peanut butter chips and chocolate chips.

and then bake half of those and then add butterscotch chips. they were all delightful. then i made a double batch of chocolate chip cookie dough and did half with nuts and half without.

and then a batch of russian tea balls aka mexican wedding cakes. delightful. light buttery nutty goodness with sugar on top. HEAVENLY!

i think i did a triple batch of some lemon cake mix cookies. the kids loved them. and 3 kids picked that kind for their lunches tomorrow.

anyway we had chips too. and chips and salsa. ya know for the salty/sweet factor.

and yeah it was successful but I AM BEAT! so tired. and CRANKY!

oh and best part? i had borrowed a footed trifle bowl for Bunko back in June from my sister Janie. and since i'd never returned it yet, I used it tonight for Chips.

well. just after my mom and part of another family got there, Pierce climbed up my shoe bins under the bar/buffet area, and tried to grab some chips out of the footed trifle bowl. KNOCKING IT OVER!

of course i yell $HIT!

in front of or within hearing range of all of my kids , my mother, brother, brother in law, and half of my sisters kids and technically i bet all the neighbors heard it too, even with the doors shut.

super loud. yeah i am not composed at all when i am the hostess. AT ALL!

that's embarassing!

stinking kid!

well luckily the borrowed glass bowl didn't fall off the counter and break, but he did manage to spill a WHOLE BAG OF BBQ chips right onto the floor. it was freshly mopped but you can't serve floor food at a party.

SO. Lance swept it up and we had to throw them away. bringing the chip to cookie ratio dangerously low for a crowd of that size. STRESS!

oh well. it went well.

i was impressed with my MAD BAKING SKILLZ. even though Lance wasn't really impressed.and my mom assumed i had purchased all of the cookies. maybe because there was so much there and so much variety and the fact that i baked more cookies today than i ever have in my WHOLE FREAKING LIFE.

and the kitchen was clean before, during and after the baking.

and the crap counter cleared OFF!

and stuff was actually put away versus just shoving it in the laundry room and closing the door. (that habit is lovingly referred to as , the "stash and dash")

today i actually put things away for real. that right there my friends is a FREAKING MIRACLE!

and KUDOS to Lance who did a bunch of laundry and put away all the stuff that was piled on the counter in the laundry room. the counters that we haven't seen in over a year. that counter. and yes we could even see the FLOOR and could sweep! which seriously it's been months since i swept in there. yup Lance deserves kudos. OH but i have to say he was PISSED that he had to put away the SAVER'S loot, since i hadn't yet because i didn't have enough hangers. yeah hangers here are a hot commodity and we will NEVER HAVE ENOUGH.

( it admit it. it's a sickness really, the clothes buying. i just hate when he notices.)

and the kids had to be THREATENED! with mega groundings to cooperate and help clean their domain.(the basement) CAN I JUST SAY? it amazes me, how messy that room gets overnight. they kill me. the other day they were toasting pretzels in a desk lamp. and eating them in the basement. MORONS I TELL YOU. who does that crap? i swear. fire hazard anyone? DUH?not to mention the no food in the basement rule. UGH!

so Snack night was successful, Lance and I are both EXHAUSTED, and there were No major accidents tonight. and that's saying alot with over 30 cousins running around together. with limited adult supervision.

and a wheel of death (vintage merry go round) in the back yard.

SUCCESS!



so that's it for this episode of tales from the reluctant hostess. until next time...


a few questions i want answered by you-

I totally stash and dash! how about you?

do you bake cookies? what is your fave to bake and to eat?

how often do you see your family for family togetherness?

do you see your family or the in laws more? which is better/more fun?

for a family party of your siblings and their kids, how many are there usually in attendance?


post signature

Janie, thanks for sending me the pictures. i was too fried to take any by the time i was done getting ready. Oh and i really will return your Trifle bowl someday. and sorry for exposing your herd to my foul mouth.

22 comments:

Are You Serious! said...

♥ Everything looks great! :)

andrea said...

You crack me up!!!! The yelling of "the word"....yeah, that is totally something that would happen to me. I hate to hostess as well....way too much stress involved.

We see my family more....but it's just my mom. Can't really say hanging out with a 77 yr. old is that much fun though. We really need to try and hang with my hubby's family. It's sad, the cousins don't even know each other, and there are a bunch the same age. I need to work on it.

Loved the "stash and dash" comment. I totally do that, and hate it when people show up unannounced and I can't stash! RUDE! My hubby HATES my 3, yes, 3 clutter piles.

The cookies look awesome! I laughed at the Russian Tea Balls/Mexican Wedding cakes. My husband freaks if I call them either of those names. They are "Grandma's Bon-bons" to him, end of discussion! I call them the other names behind his back though! Tee-hee!

Wow....that was a long comment.

Kylie said...

I don't stash and dash as much as my husband does. I get really distracted cleaning and organzing little areas and rooms (taking LOTS of time) instead of picking up and cleaning quickly. I made cookies Friday--chocolate chip, my husbands 2nd favorite (with pumpkin frosted being number 1 and with fall around the corner I can wait to make them...yummmmm). We go to my parent's house every Sunday for dinner. I have one brother and his family that are there every week too and then another brother and sister that go one week to my parents/one week to their inlaws. We also have FHE with my mom's side (all my cousins) once a month, with my dad's side once a month and with my husband's family once a month. My family is less than a mile away so we probably see them more (and they do Sunday dinner every week), but it just depends--we've been at the inlaws almost every day this week visiting my husband's sister and her family who are in town. For Sunday dinner there is probably around 15 adults and 10-12kids/teens.

Kylie said...

ps. the cookies look delicious--I can't believe you made so many kinds/varieties!! AMAZING!

goingsome said...

Stash-N-Dash" , AHH, it now has name. Yep, I am guilt of that one!!! It is called the "clean for show" in my house.

Our favoraite cookies are the ones that other people cook. I never seem to have time to bake.

We see our family every other month. My family lives in CA and his family lives in Flagstaff, so it seems that it is always an effort to get together. Planning isn't one of favorite things.

We usually see my family more often than his. My parents are more mobile, so it is easier to invite them to our house, rather than traveling. You know how it is to pack the kiddos up and travel. Not a fun task, and of course, "planning" isn't my favorite, didn't I mention that already?

For a family party it usually consists of 6 to 8 people, and let me tell you that is about all we can handle.

Have I said, "You are the goddess queen". You rock! Homemade cookies and cleaning too!!! So what for the loud voices through the house. So what if the neighbors can hear. Oh, well. That is life!!!

Cant Hardly Wait said...

ugh, those cookies look yummy.

I hate family functions, I normally avoid them as much as possible. my next excuse is crampy from constipation.

Jamie said...

I don't mind hosting things but I have to have tons of notice. I am ocd, but I never bake. I want as little food prep time as I can. Those cookies looked scrumptious!!!When my family comes over it can be as many as 40 people scrunched into my little house. I love it though. I love hangin with my family. My brothers are freaking hilarious and keep me laughing:)

Anonymous said...

I love to host things!!! I really do and I love baking and I love baking cookies. It's always overwhelming and trying not to clean the whole time people are over is hard for me but I manage.
I don't see my family anymore, not since I moved but we have Cody's family over maybe once a month, sometimes more, sometimes less.
You deserve a break, 40+ people is a lot and very overwhelming.

Cecily R said...

WHo toasts pretzles on a lamp? My kids. Except it was marshmellows on sticks. Fantastic.

You made more cookies in one day than I have in my whole married life combined. RAD.

I had my mom and my sister's family over for dinner last night so I had an excuse to clean. I need excuses these days. I'm feelin' you on that one....

This post? R-A-D.

Supercool Hotmama said...

The cookies were super-fabuloso and everything looked great! Better my $6 Anchor Hocking than your $40 antiques. Nothin' they haven't heard. Thanks again for the extensive wardrobe!

Vidal's Nest said...

I totally stash and dash! Way to go on the baking. The pics are making my mouth water and i want to bake something now. Problem is my kitchen is a disaster and I don't think I want to tackle that mess!Bummer!

Lainie said...

I love having my family over - if they can get their kids to clean up before they leave. We have 19 cousins on one side and 15 on the other. So it's very crazy with kids everywhere!

I get to have either Christmas or Thanksgiving this year at my house for the in-laws. That's always a treat! That's one of the problems of having a big house - everybody assumes that it should be the gathering place for holidays! Fun, fun!

jayna said...

oh wow. well, it sounds like it turned out!! and the cookies look amazing! can i get the lemon cake mix recipe from you? and the chocolate cookie recipe for that matter... at least the hostessing is over for now!! and to answer at least one of your questions, i don't typically bake cookies because there is no one else around to eat them, but i love MOST cookies. anything except raisins...

KayDee said...

I usually dont do any hosting, I let Jamie do that! (he he he) I am to ocd when it comes to having people over, I have to have everything perfect! I wish I could stash and dash but I dont have any doors on closets yet! Yep, when people come over they get the treat of seeing what kind of closet slob I am!:)

The cookies look really YUM! You are amazing to have cooked all of that!

Micah and Jen said...

Wow! that is a TON of yummy cookies! I am now craving them! :) Good for you on all the baking and hosting....even if you do hate it! :) Glad it was a success

Debra said...

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee can I have the lemon cookire recipe?????? Is it like lemon bars? I LOVE that stuff!!!

I am a plain ol' choc chip cookie gal :-)

And seriously.... you need Flylady!!!! www.flylady.net You will LOVE her. Her motto is you can do anything in 15 minutes. The timer is awesome. My house if finally getting back into shape. I stopped her program when I had the twins and it has been CHAOS since then.

Debra said...

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee can I have the lemon cookire recipe?????? Is it like lemon bars? I LOVE that stuff!!!

I am a plain ol' choc chip cookie gal :-)

And seriously.... you need Flylady!!!! www.flylady.net You will LOVE her. Her motto is you can do anything in 15 minutes. The timer is awesome. My house if finally getting back into shape. I stopped her program when I had the twins and it has been CHAOS since then.

Sarah said...

Hilarious post! I enjoy having family over, but I hate cleaning for it too. Our laundry room has always been our "stash and dash" place too. I'm super guilty of that. I will do that with dishes that are dirty but won't fit in the dishwasher and I don't want to take the time to handwash at the moment. Gross, I know! They are usually rinsed atleast. Sometimes they get tossed under the sink rather than in the laundry room. Although, since we've moved, the garage I think tends to be the "catch all" or most anyway. It's more conveniently located in this house than it was in our last. We don't do family get togethers as often as I'd like. Usually just for birthdays or holidays.

We only see my family. Most of my inlaws are scattered around the U.S. There are a couple out of the 9 kids, that actually live here in the valley, but it's very few and far between when we see them.

Your cookies look sooo yummy! I enjoy baking but don't do it very often. Mostly because I hate cooking/baking in a messy kitchen and I hate cleaning it, just to mess it up right away.

I have stopped at a couple thrift stores in the last couple weeks and I'm loving them. I got my girls several pairs of jeans for such good prices and they were current style....not like 15 years old. Savers is the best...much more organized. But if you can stand having to sort through the unorganized mess at goodwill, there are some decent things to be found.

(this was long enough, I should have just made it a post on my blog!)

Frolicking Night Owl said...

yum! the cookies look SO yummy! i don't like having people over either. i don't like the stress of having everything perfect before they come & then having to clean up their messes after they leave.

sherry said...

stash and dash- yes Cookies- yum! We get together with my family every other week for family dinner on Sunday. We do a big dinner. We each do part of it. I usually end up giving out assignments. ANd if anyone has a prob they take it up with me. We have about 40 people at any given time. Adults eat first. The kids run wild and we don't pay attention to them. And sometimes the kids are too busy playing to remember to eat. Then we get home and they are STARVING! in laws- about once a year.;)

Andrea said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I wish my house was clean, but I just can't get my butt in gear & get it done! Besides a little slip of the word, sounds like it was a FUN evening!!!

Can I call you Miss Betty Crocker? You ROCK making ALL those cookies!!! They look delish & so many!! WOW!

tiki_lady said...

ok, the only time my house gets like "seller clean" is when we are having family or friends over. It is a good thing, but I hate the frenzy it throws me into. Just because we are comfortable in our dirt doesn't mean others are. LOL

you are freakin' wonder woman! I would have blown a gasket multiple of times.

I don't really like making cookies because they take so freakin' long to finish up! what the heck>>

I commend you and worship the oven you cooked in along with your husband.

You must be a bit of a perfectionist. I can almost sense it in you, because this is exactly what I would do. Like, hey I can be like a regular mom with only one kid, watch me! roflrofl

But, I would have caved and started off rolling balled cookies and then said, screw it, and made
BAR COOKIES! for every different blasted one, so you are better than I!

To answer your questions.

when we get family together we have 29. WE get together with my dh's side, more. his side is more relaxed but carry more mama drama if you get my drift.

My side is definitely more HIGH maintenance but equally are easy to spend time with. I have more fun with dh's side minus the inlaw.
All of dh's family live in one state, and all of my family live in another state. WE chose to live smack dab in the middle. So, that everyone has to CALL before they come over, no drive bys or drop offs. We also avoid much drama on both sides.

We do love our families though.

Crazymama's RAD Followers

Get up and dance!


do you ever feel like............

do you ever feel like............