Saturday, June 6, 2009

Dead heading my roses


today, i went out front and noticed my rose bush needed dead-heading again.

you know , when you pick off all the old dead flowers so new ones can come in their place.

this bush is especially prone to making rose apples which are giant seed pods, the plant unknowingly puts extra energy into making the rose apples, and doesn't produce more blooms, the heads don't just fall off, they make huge seed pods and no new blooms come in it's place.

thus the need of assistance from me in dead-heading. if i keep up on it, it will have more flowers throughout the blooming season. flowers are Pretty, rose apples are ugly.


sometimes, like today a thorn snags my arm. it can be unpleasant but in the end, the pain is often forgotten. and the blooms continue to bring joy and beauty to my rose bush, and my yard.


while i was doing the deadheading, i was thinking about how this applies to life.


how often in life do we fail to deadhead the unnecessary, or dead parts of ourselves, focusing too much on things that won't pay off in the end?

whether it's continuing with bad habits, or keeping relationships that are constantly bringing us down?

if we'd let those things go, our lives would have more space/time/energy for the things that bring joy to our lives. making room for the beautiful blooms again.

sometimes cutting out the bad habits or unfortunate relationships in our lives that suck our energy, is hard. there are thorny spots. it might hurt for a time. but with time, the pain is forgotten. and we have new blooms to bring beauty to our lives.

sometimes it's hard for us to notice the things that need to be eliminated. (the rose apples.) those are the time sucks, or the unhealthy relationships. and we need assistance from a friend, or counselor to see what it is we need to quit focusing on or what we should be eliminating to let the beauty come back to ourselves.

AH. deep thoughts today

i've been considering deadheading the nectar (Dr.Pepper) from my life. it's chock full of unnecessary calories. makes me forget to eat and sometimes gives me the shakes. it doesn't even taste delicious like it used to. it's kind of lost it's luster. but it's one of those habits i cling to. the kind i rationalize because, well in the scheme of things, i could have habits that are considerably worse.

i haven't attempted to deadhead the nectar from my life wondering what habit will i replace it with? how hard will it be to give it up? what if i have headaches, or lack of energy from the missing daily caffeine? i need all the help i can get, i depend on it, to survive. anyway. logically this is one habit i could and should give up.

maybe i need a reward to get started. like saving all the money that i would normally spend on Dr.Pepper. and putting it towards something for me? like a maid? hmmmm. tempting. i bet we spend $50 a month on soda? i'll have to figure that trade out.

anyway. it was just a passing thought.

I'm scattered today. and need to move on. just thought I'd share. while the thoughts were fresh.

I'm gonna go scrub toilets now. i know you are jealous. and YES! that is my ultimate fave chore.

I'll tell you why, when i was a little girl/teenager. my Older sister would pay me and Maria to come clean her house. we each had a bathroom to clean , plus vacuum, and mop. and dust and whatnot. anyway, i loved to do the toilet. I'd pour in all the cleaning stuff (like a witches brew), mix it around with my magic wand(toilet brush) , let it soak, and whalah clean toilet.

i still like to clean toilets. i find alot of time to quietly think while making my witches brew and let it soak, plus it's one of those chores that no one wants to help with leaving me a few minutes alone to quietly reflect.



post signature

© 2009 crazymamaof6

14 comments:

Jen said...

Great thoughts today!!! Love the post!

Ruth Anne said...

I read your analogy several times. I loved it.

Yeah, I think I should quit my morning nectar, but I really am grumpy without it. Maybe I should quarantine myself first.

Anyway, loved this post! (And I didn't even know you were a horticulturist!)

blah, blah by lindsey said...

thanks for the deep thoughts!!!

CassiB said...

Thanks, I have been thinking lately what I could do without in my life lately and even though I have a mental list it is so easy to say well I need this because...
Good luck if you decide to quit DP I know what you mean about it not even tasting so good. Sometimes it does but most of the time it just sounds like it would taste so good. I'm going back to one a day, and debating that maybe that one will be a diet one.
=)

Jenifer said...

good luck if you quit! I am back on, but when i quit, i was amazed to find that I had more energy. Weird. But...not to discourage you...I was sick for about a week with a massive headache and withdrawls. but you can do it! I felt really good about myself when I did it.

Piper said...

hmmmmmm... I love it! "Deadhead crap from life" That is going on my to-do list TODAY! Thanks! Good luck with yours!!

Laura said...

Great post.

andrea said...

That was deep. Be careful, you'll be teaching RS soon, but think of the great visual your will have with your roses! ;)

That reminds me that my roses have aphids (as usual) so I need to get the rose food stuff on them. Thanks for reminding me!

Good luck on the DP thing. I can't do it right now. I don't even think about it.

Eliza said...

Thanks for this post, I really enjoyed it. I hear ya on the pop, I gave up coke for several years but have recently been hooked to it again. I have been thinking I would only drink it on the weekends but that's not working out so well. I don't like thoughts of going cold turkey because it is the one drink I really love. Ah well, such is life.

Unknown said...

Whoops. I guess I needed to read this BEFORE I brought over your birthday gift. However, you can use them to help you stop. I drink one a day. But every day I drink less and toss the rest. No headaches.

Supercool Hotmama said...

Yeah, that was me.

Did the kids tell you that was your bday from me? 2 cases, 2 kinds of candy - I told them not to eat them.

Susan said...

Sounds like your getting ready for a talk. Tuck this away...it's a keeper.

Sarah said...

the best part about living in AZ was that it was the best diet ever! the heat killed my hankering for all things syrupy, fried,or greasy. forget about cooking -- anything that involved heat or turning on the oven was out of the question. it was salad and fruit all the time. and the only beverages i handle were water and coffee (oh, and beer). i didn't drink soda for almost 2 years and i felt so much better for it!

fun fact: the mormons took many pounds of coffee with them from nauvoo. and as for beer, for many centuries it was considered healthier than water. that was, of course, before we figured out that simply boiling water kills off bacteria. but mama brewhouse swears by the medicinal qualities of hops.

Debra said...

It is so hard to give up my juice. I did give it up for 6 months and then they just HAD to come out with Cherry Dr. Pepper and so I HAD to try it and now I am back on it.

You will have withdrawals, moodiness, irritability, lack of energy, but once it passes, you will feel great. I had to switch slowly.

Crazymama's RAD Followers

Get up and dance!


do you ever feel like............

do you ever feel like............