Saturday, December 22, 2007

My first blog recipe! Hot Cocoa from SCRATCH!



IN honor of my fave holiday tradition of going to my mom's for Hot cocoa and toast- in family of dippers ( but i am sooo not a dipper) with the family Christmas eve. here you go!

Hot Cocoa (directly off the side of the Hershey's cocoa box)
cooks on top of stove: Makes 6 servings (can be easily doubled for a large family or a party)

1/2 Cup Sugar
1/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa
dash of salt (we never do the salt)
1/3 Cup hot water
4 cups milk
3/4 tsp. Vanilla extract

1. Mix Sugar,Cocoa, and salt in the saucepan; Stir in water .
2. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils;boil and stir 2 minutes
3. Stir in Milk and heat do not boil
4. remove from heat; add vanilla

add flavored creamers if you want. whipped cream. milk to cool it down, whatever. i like it plain, and even cold the next day from the fridge. love it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Lance's recipe

Lance makes our Hot chocolate in a Cocoa Latte (hot drink maker-at linens and things or bed bath and beyond , they have some version of them at Walmart too. i bought it for Lance's birthday last year, he was thrilled.)
Lance's special recipe for hot cocoa

2 cups of milk
1/8 cup cocoa
3/8 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon of Vanilla ( we use imported from Mexico vanilla)

put 2 cups milk in the machine, 1/8 cup cocoa, and 3/8 cups sugar, and the vanilla . turn it on to mix and heat, when it stops mixing, turn off the mixer part, Turn on froth feature. pour into cups, add milk to taste or coolness (for the kids) i like mine strong so i don't add extra milk. but sometimes i add peppermint creamer. love it!

and it is so easy Liberty(age 8) makes it all by herself for the fam.
we have to make 2 batches though, (large family and all) plus they guzzle it down.

side note: i tricked Lance into making me cocoa right now before I'd post his recipe, i haven't loved it i think it's weak, apparently i like it extra milk free. I learn something new everyday. I'm on my second cup!

so there you go 2 cocoa recipes. 2 ways to make it.
try it and let me know what you think.

8 comments:

AutoSysGene said...

Funny, I just finished a cup of cocoa. Starbuck's yumm...I think I have a new cocoa addiction.

tammy said...

I love cocoa this time of year. Maybe I need one of those machines. And I have to admit, I'm a dipper! Buttered toast, donuts - yumm!

Andrea said...

Mmmmmm yummy! I L-O-V-E hot cocoa! I have been drinking at least a cup a day (and that's a very large cup for me - tee hee). We've been using cocoa mix from the cannery. Very yummy! I also add a sprinkle of cinnamon & fresh ground nutmeg to my cup. I'm not a dipper either. Once in while I may add marshmallows but I love marshmallow creme better!

michelle said...

YUM! I think you just gave me a great idea! I am headed to the kitchen right now! :)

Webb Family said...

That sounds sooo yummy right now! We love our cocoa latte machine & use it a lot!!

onehm said...

I have NEVER used my cocoa latte....YET!
Now I will have to try this recipe!
YUM.

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

I have been looking for a hot chocolate recipe and never thought to look on the cocoa box. DUH! I have been wanting some hot chocolate but can't drink dairy so I was looking for one I could use my soy milk with. THANK YOU!!! You are brilliant.

Flea said...

Thank you! I'm looking forward to teaching my kids to make this!

Crazymama's RAD Followers

Get up and dance!


do you ever feel like............

do you ever feel like............