Saturday, May 10, 2008

MOTHERS DAY or OMF day?

it's begun, i fought it all week, the dread of the holiday is here, and i'm a screaming crying maniac today.

sure the thought behind it is nice. and in THEORY quite delightful. but honestly, the day doesn't do it for me.

the expectation and disappointment that we lack funds for anything fabulous or useful for me. stresses me out. and leaves me feeling ARGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHIIIIIII (screaming) mad.

Cecily mentioned in a comment about celebrating Oldest Matriarch in the FAMILY day (or OMF day. ) which put a name to the same thing for the last 10 years of mothers days for me , it isn't about me. we have events to go to. and OMF's to celebrate, his mom, my mom, grandma, and aunts. and leave it with mother in law, and my own beloved mother. which I'm happy to celebrate and think about and purchase a lovely gift for. THEN we go to the family dinners on the day of. when supposedly the men are cooking, were WE the wives and mothers get to sit and enjoy. we make the trek here and there and to church in the morning . and OH glorious day, we are celebrated. we should feel so fabulous. right?

WHAT A FREAKING CROCK of $H!T !

who has to shop for the F-ing food? to take to the freaking dinner?

who has to get the kids dressed for church, and do hair? (really that's because i can't stand to have them look like the natural ragamuffins they would be if i didn't do the hair and the cute clothes and i'm the "only" one that can find anything to dress them in.

and i generally go looking like CRAP since i don't have time for me in the morning. for a few years there i went to church with wet hair, on mother's day. that's only if I'm lucky enough to SHOWER before. yeah i feel GORGEOUS, and oh so celebrated. (i refused to go last year)

THEN i go and sit struggling with a herd of small children listening to a bunch of talks that may or may not make me cry, OR induce guilt. how rad is that? (i want to ditch tomorrow)

we are mormon, we don't go to brunch, we don't go shopping or to the spa becuase mothers day is on a sunday, sunday we keep the freaking sabbath day holy and don't do those things) I WANT TO. TOTALLY WANT TO! DYING TO do 'em though. they don't have fabulous brunches on Saturday, and beside we have basketball. whoohoo last day but still.

we go home. is there time for an afternoon Mother's day nap? HELL NO!

because we do a quick change, and head out to the in laws for the drop in dinner, and visit.

we take MY homemade gift(since that's what i can afford and have supplies for)

and shaft or pay whoever wanted to do the GROUP GIFT, and always pay way more than we can afford.
not that we are cheap , but because we are only low budget. and we generally we pay out more than the $ amount than we gave to my mom, or myself. but i'm not bitter. if they bought something and split it 5 ways we owe. hate to screw anyone over hate for anyone to get shafted. and generally we receive no notice on the fact that there is a group gift we are obligated to pay on. i plan ahead, or think about it for well over a month sometimes way way longer. not the morning of. or after the fact even. SERIOUSLY?

tomorrow we are going also to my brothers house. for a dinner. that we had planned on before we heard about the drop in dinner at the in laws. and we'll see the FAM. we'll stay until someone gets hurt, or they are all whiny. or until it's after bed time. i'd rather do dinner alone with my mom.

and then we'll go home. put kids to bed, and begin the standard school night fun. which is all ME. well the clothing laying out, tracking down of shoes, and whatnot.

So . i sound bitter right?

the things i love about mothers day?
hearing my cute kids tell me "HAPPY Mudders day!(since Hope can't say her T-H blend) " "MOM, YOU ROCK" and all the hugs and kisses, slobbery and and snotty faced kid love. they always come through with the verbal praise.

i get at least 4 school gifts. or cards. SO CUTE!
and sometimes IF we go to church on mothers day they bring home cards from their class too.

Liberty already gave me a DARN fabulous plastic bead bracelet. and is offering to give a massage. as i type this no less. this is one of my Mothers day gifts. a neck massage. and if i lay down on the couch she spread the blanket down for me, for a karate chop style massage. now that is RELAXING huh?! you're jealous.

the excitement is HUGE, and gifts have already been offered, but I'm holding out since they may be the only gifts i receive. besides the things i bought for myself. this year my uber fab necklace.
and a secret sparkle-y lipstick and mirror compact set.

BUT today is the day where emotions are running high, the dread is seeping in for the disappointment called tomorrow. and i need some space. but I've been a screaming meanie, crying for no reason, and i had to give myself a time out on the couch while i held babies. the 3 and 5 year olds. not so tiny but still my babies, and i like to hold them like a baby laying down.

so can you tell i'm bitter?

and then i feel guilty for being guilty, feeling greedy and selfish, and hating mother's day.i should just really get over it and whole heartedly celebrate OMF day. and make my day CRAZYMAMA DAY! and buy myself something fabulous, get a pedicure , see a chick flick, and go out to dinner. and take a humongous nap.

i think i need a depression nap. since the chance that i'll get a mother's day nap is NOT LIKELY!

what would i want for mothers day?

a pedicure at the place with fantastic painting skills. a camera that has a faster shutter speed so i don't miss the F-ing shot all the time. , a clean house that i didn't have to clean alone, and doesn't get messed up so fast. and time to upload my pictures and video. and not have anyone bitch at me about the time i spend on the computer. OH and time to read a good book that leaves me laughing, and feeling better about life.

and then there is my reality.
i'd better go fetch the kids so i can take my depression nap now.


HAPPY OMF (oldest matriarch in the Family) Day to all of you TOO.



Oh and we found a kitten outside today, we don't know where it came from, or how. are we keeping it? HELL NO! am i tempted? always! they are so cute. do we need one? NO! and a resounding NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! since we have the 2 cats, and 2 dogs, and can't afford to feed them. and i forget to buy food.

seriously not my best day.

18 comments:

Jenifer said...

Ditch church, go and get a pedicure. There is always coupons in the mail, you can get one for not too much.
Put the guilt away. And stay home tomorrow. Who cares????? It is your day. Call your mom for sure, but don't go anywhere. Seriously. Let everyone be mad, it isn't their day, it is YOURS!!!!!
And I love the school presents. Aren't they the best?
Take a nap. Refuse to do anything tomorrow. It can be a new MD tradition!

Angela said...

I was having similar thoughts this morning and crying and having a little pity party for me. Okay, maybe I still am feeling that way. My big outing without the kids today was going to Costco to buy groceries so that I could make food to take to my mom's house tomorrow. I love my mom and I want to celebrate her, but really, I would rather stay home and take a nap! We need to have a SATURDAY tradition where we get to go out and do something fun for ourselves, since our husbands aren't big helpers in that arena!

Mamarazzi said...

take back mother's day. it it YOURS! do what you want to do.

Susie said...

I'm with mamarazzi--it's yours--TAKE IT! that's what I'm doing--even considering boycotting my own mom in the name of relaxation.

I'm so sorry you are feeling blue....you will be the OMF someday too....AND you will have 6 grown children to shower you with gifts and things... maybe you can daydream about that if you have to go to church with wet hair tomorrow.

in the meantime you are not alone and Monday will come when the kids are off to school and the hubby is off to work and YOU can take a delightfully long nap with the little ones? maybe. good luck their crazymama! I'm thinking about you tomorrow!

blah, blah by lindsey said...

amen, amen. i get to make dinner for my mom tomorrow too. and i am sooo bitter. we used to skip church and go to brunch but those days are over. it is all about pleasing everyone else. forget about the person who gets everyone ready, makes the meal and then cleans up..ya that would be me, me and me.

at least you have your fabulous necklace to wear tomorrow if you go.

Tracey said...

I have to say I think mothers day is the dumbest holiday ever for all those reasons you mentioned. I luckily already know I get to ditch church tomorrow. I've got a couple of kids with fevers. It would be better to stay home all by myself, but I'll let kids stay home too.

SuperCoolMom said...

I was on the rampage today too.

janna said...

I feel the same... But when I grew up, we always went out to eat after church..... (I grew up active too)

You can get a flower at church though.... if they do that in AZ?

Happy mom's day! & Sorry about Peyton's arm.

When Whitney was 3 & I was pg with the twins, she broke her leg, had the cast taken off, and broke her arm the night before her last check up for her leg.... (My jerk ex BIL pushed her to fast on the swing and made her fly off) They could have turned me in to child welfare....

The joy's of being a mother.


Oh & yahoo about cleaning the basement

onehm said...

AAAAAAHHHHH, yes. I hear ya on the "not really about this mom" Mother's day.
This year I went the super-cheap route and the kids and I went over and helped my mom clean the preschool to prepare for Graduation. It was the happiest I've seen my mom over a "gift". I totally rock.
;) (sarcasm included)

Micah and Jen said...

Feelin' ya on the Mother's Day thing....Love it and HATE it all at the same time! And, not to mention it falls on my baby's 1st birthday this year....so it isn't about me at all, but that's okay. I LOVE the cute cards and gifts I got from the boys from school....thanks goodness for awesome teachers....and Micah will NO DOUBT do fab things, like breakfast and get the kids ready and stuff, but still....it's a work day for us moms! Hope you end up having a great one anyways....YOU DESERVE IT! :)

Kate said...

Happened to find your blog through a friend of a friend of a friend -- or something like that! This is my first mother's day and I am ALREADY feeling like that. We have to go to two differnet places to celebrate and I don't WANT to. I want to have a mother's day with my twins and husband, not gallavant all over the county all day. I was upset because growing up my mother got her day, we didn't go to the grandparents or anything but NO...I don't get that right off the bat!! I sooooo get your feeling about it not being YOUR day, but every other mother's seemingly!

Get this though, my MIL so badly wanted grandchildren, she gave me and her daughter mother's day gifts BEFORE we were even trying to conceive...hoping we'd take a hint. I felt SOOOOO weird...

Anyhoo...rant away and I hope you at least enjoy a LITTLE bit of your mother's day. When I grumble under my breath about the twentieth person to bug me I'll think of your blog post and know I'm not alone!

Connie said...

Mother's Day is always hard around here..my kids are hideous, my husband never wakes up in the a.m....and then he wants to go out for breakfast when I've already GIVEN veryone breakfast!!!! and then we go to my moms...which is pretty good...my sisters don't have kids, so they do all the work. So tomorrow, we are going to mexican food for lunch. I want a margarita!! But now I'm worried because I haven't made any reservations...hmmmm.

Ruth Anne said...

Ever since I could remember, my Dad would always tell us how Mother's day was one of the most depressing days for women and had a high suicide rate. I think this was his way of saying be nice to mom.

Anyway, the biggest problems moms face are trying to please everyone, putting themselves last, and over-scheduling. Ditch the in-laws or put a 45 minute time limit. Do your hair and makeup. And when the kids are in bed, spend some quiet time on a nice walk (or blog about the cute homemade gifts the kids got you).

Nat Nat said...

I should just say YES I totally think all the same stuff. I end up in tears every freaking mothers day and have for years. Also go to church with wet hair and no make-up all the time. Grrrrr.....

But I do have to admit that I am getting better about this whole mothers day thing. I am with Cecily on the OMF Day thing. And by hell when my kids are grown I know I will expect them to bring thier kids and come visit me.

Because at that poing we will be the OMF's and we will be at home all day alone with no screaming kids and we will miss these frantic, tired, long, holidays and we will long for the love and effection from our kids and grandkids. (thinking I need to try really hard to remember that tomarrow) but we did simplify this year so I am really, really, hoping that is will not be a crying mothers day for me this year.......Good luck to you as well! Now I am off to finish my handcrafted mothers day gifts as well. What did you make?

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

I'd definitely go get a pedicure if you want one! I like the idea of OMF day instead of Mother's Day. We're having my MIL and my mom over tomorrow...we'll just sit around and relax and will probably play the Wii. I can't wait to see my mom try DDR. Too funny.

Andrea said...

I totally agree!! I was upset yesterday because I had to practically beg Ben to cook dinner for me today. He asked what I wanted, I told him "i don't know!" So he got mad cuz then he said we had to go to the store to find something for him to cook. I got mad again and said "SO, I have to go BUY my OWN food for YOU to cook me?" We were on our cell phones while I was at the store w/ the girls, so I said bye very quickly. On our way home, I stopped by Bashas' and bought what I wanted (code for something easy for him to make since I do most of the cooking). I came home kinda peeved. He apologized & said he didn't mean it that way. I told him it's hard to think of what I want cuz it's not exactly what I want, but what can he cook that I like!! So, we're having grilled chicken breasts, wild rice and vegetables. It's what I wanted (other than Olive Garden - Fettucine Alfredo takeout)!!

Jenn Toon said...

Sorry you have the blues! Hope it gets better and you at least get 'celebrated' a bit! We all love you!! Call me and we'll go for pedis together - I have a gift cert. We could split a 2 for 1! :)

Kristen said...

I feel your pain, I got the okay from my Husband to go get a pedicure and all three places I tried were closed. Now that is disappointment!

Crazymama's RAD Followers

Get up and dance!


do you ever feel like............

do you ever feel like............