Thursday, October 9, 2008

treasures from the secret closet, my thoughts on old family movies, domestic skills and a RECIPE! what more could you ask for?

I'm baking. the midnight oil.

it's supposed to be burning of course.but i haven't burned anything yet. I'm just plain baking up some domestic goodness.

for our fun filled family reunion(my immediate family-siblings,spouses,kids,grandma). 3 fun filled days of hanging out with my siblings. WHOOHOO!

i volunteered to bring dessert. for lunch tomorrow

3 texas sheet cakes. MMMM delicious!

sometimes my domesticity amazes even myself.

and gosh i feel super cool when my mom even notices I've been especially domestic lately.

yay me! do you want the recipe!?!

here you go. it's totally stolen directly from my sisters recipe blog. but hey, why the heck not? that and i couldn't get the link to work. so that's why i just pirated it. thanks Janie!

THIS IS MY FAVORITE it even says so in the family cook book. and that sucker was printed back in 1984! holy crap i was only 7 years old. so it's always been my fave. it's a family classic.



Texas Sheet cake (or Hot fudge Cake)


1/2 cup margarine

1/2 cup shortening

4 Tbsp. cocoa

1 cup water

2 cups sugar

2 cups flour

1/2 cup buttermilk (or sour milk - add about 1 tablespoon of vinegar and let it set about 10 minutes it will curdle)

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

2 eggs

1 1/2 tsp vanilla


Combine margarine, shortening, cocoa, water and bring to a rolling boil. Sift together sugar and flour. Combine hot liquid mixture with dry. Mix well. Combine buttermilk, soda, and salt and stir well. Add this to the hot mixture. Beat the eggs slightly, add them in, then add the vanilla. Bake in a jelly roll pan, about 3o minutes at 325 degrees.


Fudge Icing:


Mix together and bring to a boil:


1 stick margarine

4 Tbsp. milk

4 Tbsp. cocoa


Remove from heat. Add 1 box sifted powdered sugar. Beat until creamy. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour over hot cake! You can sprinkle with chopped walnuts or pecans but that is totally optional !


in other news, for the family reunion we are doing FAMILY PICTURES! Black and denim baby!

my fave. my biggest issue will be getting everyone ready and picture worthy in a timely manner. OY! we have to be there by 10 am . that might be a HUGE CHALLENGE.

and the most amazing feat of the century. we found the super old projector in the secret closet. it's vintage and we will have the pleasure of enjoying the super old Family movies from the 70's! and some 80's.

i frankly think they suck just because, well I'm not in all of them. it's pretty boring to watch soundless movies from 1978 at the ruins in Mexico, knowing that i was left home with the neighbors at the age of one. and therefore in NONE of the movies. that frankly sucks. I'm still bitter about that, can you tell? well i am.

but we did find the old projector. there is something to be said for never clearing out the old secret closet in the last 16 years. yep. treasures galore. (poor lance had to venture into the far recesses of the water heater closet, that i affectionately refer to as the secret closet)

I'll check in periodically. we'll be in town. just hanging all together. yay.

and of course take loads of pictures of the fun!

i know you can't wait to experience the wonder right along with us!


so what do you think of old family movies?

do you have family reunions? who goes, how often?

do you recall what your favorite dessert was back when you were 7?


post signature

14 comments:

crystal said...

If you don't blog a reunion agenda, I'll be peeved.

SuperCoolMom said...

2 a.m. Still sewing treat bags for the kiddos.

Anonymous said...

OMG that sheet cake looks soooo good LOL. Its early morning here and Im havingn coffee. Care to pass me some cake LOL.I havent been to a reunion for a long time.I dont even rememeber the last one.I think when I was 7 my favorite sweet was ice cream.I love it.But I dont have it often cause its fattening.But once in a while I give in.Cant wait to visit your page more often.

michelle said...

Have a wonderrful time with your family!!! I think it is so cool that you are all spending this time together. Thank you sooo much for sharing the cake recipe. I have been looking for a good Texas sheet cake recipe forever!

AutoSysGene said...

Favortie dessert - German Chocolate Cake...I was a coconut hound even then.

Movies...eh, not my fav. We missed the hubs family reunion while we were in Mexico seeing the Ruins ;)

onehm said...

SUPA FUN-TASTIC!!!
;)

YUM...Texas Sheet Cake is my fave too!!

jayna said...

hmmm. i actually don't like watching old family movies... i was such a nerd...

don't have many family reunions. don't like the ones with all the extended family, but would love to have one with my immediate family!!!

favorite dessert when i was 7? hmm. cake. i actually didn't like texas sheet cake until about 10 years ago. but i always loved yellow cake with my mom's yummy yummy frosting!!

janna said...

I love old family movies, the movie projector kind. My dad has a box full of them and someday I wish we could get copies of them.

We have family reunions... usually every two years.

As a kid my favorite desert was sticky bun or banana bread

Ruth Anne said...

I haven't had a reunion in a while.

Family pictures get my so anxious. I always worry that I don't look good enough.

Straight to Your Hart said...

MM..MMM..Good..that looks delic!! whoohoo for reunions..my hubby has one every year...mine is every 5 years...My favorite dessert is my moms chocolate cake with a TON of frosting!!K..need to eat now.

blah, blah by lindsey said...

i wish we had family reunions!! yummy foods and desserts!

Mamarazzi said...

yum on the cake (sans the killer walnuts, i don't wanna die eating cake)!!

i can't wait for pics and etails from the reunion. i love reunions!

tiki_lady said...

what a fun wild crzy busy day! I love/hate/love our family reunion. if someone doesn't end up fighting it or mad it just isn't quite the same.

Vidal's Nest said...

My grandma had a recipe that is almost the same. She called it nacadosha cake. Wierd eh? So freakin delish though!
We have huge family reunions! There are fifty six grandkids now I do believe with two more on the way! Whew!

Crazymama's RAD Followers

Get up and dance!


do you ever feel like............

do you ever feel like............