Thursday, September 10, 2009

the proper response

just in case you didn't know ....

the proper response when someone tells you a horrifying and potentially scary thing.

medically?

especially when you don't know what to say....

it's OH MY GOSH! that sucks!

that's it.

that's all it takes to validate someone sharing a personal tidbit of info.


now if you wanted to know more...

next comment could be "wow! what does that involve?"

or


"What's the recovery time on that?"

or

What lead up to that?



if you want to pretend like you give a rats, or you genuinely care,

you can say....

Wow, keep me updated on that.

or

"i hope everything works out ok with that."


if you are related or a good friend, you should use all of the above phrases

and keep in mind

now is not the time to complain about your life .


and don't just gloss over or dismiss something. it's rude.

and if someone is sick/ill/ undergoing procedures or tests they probably don't want to get sick , so if you or your kids are sick with even the most minor cold, don't come around, but call, check in, and act interested.


Sometimes it's not about you. and sometimes it's not about me either.



post signature

© 2009 crazymamaof6

19 comments:

onehm said...

A.
M.
E.
N.

Jen said...

I hear ya!! And I don't mind you telling me your stuff by the way, it helps me get my mind off of the other crap going on, I have a feeling it is working to both of our advantages!

CassiB said...

i don't think i handle it so well when people tell me i just found out X. i usually don't know what to say so i ramble on not realizing it. did you find out something?

Ruth Anne said...

I usually can handle the first one. Thanks for the additional support questions.

Will do.

Webb Family said...

Well me and my weak stomach I don't want to hear details!
How is school going?

CB said...

I run from asking these questions! It is usually with old people though!!

I have been gone and am trying to catch up. I am wondering if you ever went for the fabulous shoes from a few posts back!! I hope you did.

Hulk Granny said...

First off, I don't fly off the handle when I hear negative medical news, because of the level of medicine that is practiced nowadays. I also know that even when doctors say something, they aren't always right. Also, I know what it involves, I know the potential recovery time, i'm sure you'll keep me updated, and if you seriously think that I don't hope everything goes well with it then you're nuckin' futz.


PS: My life sucks.

Tammy said...

You tell 'em! Love you Jules!

Laura said...

Can you hand that out to everyone in the whole entire world. Seriously I couldn't have put it better.

That being said, what is going on with you? Email me or something. It's too criptic on here for me to figure it out. I hope it is all okay, and I understand if you don't have time to share, just know I am thinking of you. I have recently learned (stronger than ever) that health issues are horrible. Horrible.

Scrappy Girl said...

Through the last couple posts I have started worrying about ya! I hope everything is fine.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sherry said...

Wow, that stuff should really "go without saying" as my Grandma would say.(Not meaning you shouldn't say it. meaning it should be obvious to normal people. Just in case your grandma doesn't say it too;) It sounds like you are spending too much time with a very self involved person. BTW- what's going on? Did something show on your routine tests?

Rebecca Irvine said...

Some people simply lack social skills. Too many people, in fact. I hope you don't have to run in to them very often during this upcoming challenge. And if I did not say it before, hang in there--you can get through this.

Janeen said...

Just checking in to ask if you're ok?
I think I may be a little late though. Sorry!

Susan said...

Ouch! Somebody's busted.

Anonymous said...

ditto Julie.

~shannon

The Ayers Family said...

That didn't help ease the thoughts I've had about your "tests" recently! What is going on!?!?!

tammy said...

Most of that should be obvious, but to some people it's not.

Sami said...

TOO TRUE!!! I don't know why it's so hard for some people to understand, but it is!
I would like to propose one more thing though. If you know someone is going to be in the hospital for an extended period of time, VISIT THEM!!! It doesn't have to be for very long, but anything to break up the monotony of a day in the hospital is always appreciated. Sitting alone in your hospital room for 8-12 hours a day for a week, is not so much fun...

Crazymama's RAD Followers

Get up and dance!


do you ever feel like............

do you ever feel like............