Sunday, December 13, 2009

It's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas!

most people would assume the holidays smell like fresh Christmas tree , or wassail.

but not for me.

we have a fake tree .

wassail is yet another holiday drink i just can't get into.

my mom never made gingerbread men. or sugar cookies . but she did make these delightfully chewy cookies.

ginger, cloves and cinnamon. molasses pronounced for the fun of saying it like a bad word- Mole asses. it looks and smells kinda grody in the jar, but add it to some sugar and flour with those spices and it's suddenly DELIGHTFUL!

I've been craving these cookies for weeks.

with my research paper out of the way, I FINALLY felt like I had time to bake.

WHOOHOO!

i made the dough this afternoon. and tonight i'll roll it into balls and bake them.

and then it will smell and taste like Christmas.

Everyone has their traditional flavor and scent of the season. what does yours taste like?


Brer Rabbit Molasses Sugar Cookies
here is our cast of characters-
Photobucket

3/4 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. molasses
1 egg
2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. flour, sifted
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Soften shortening in microwave. Add sugar, molasses and egg. Beat well. Sift together flour and spices, add to first mixture. Mix well. Chill. Form into 1 inch balls and roll in granulated sugar. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake at 375 degrees for 5-7 minutes (do not overbake - the tops should barely start to crack, these aren't supposed to be hard old gingersnaps).

And one tip from my sister: Make all the balls at once and place on a cookie sheet. Freeze. Then pour them into a ziploc bag, toss your sugar in, and shake and bake. I keep the bag of frozen dough balls in the freezer and only use what I need. It's so nice to be able to bake a batch of warm cookies any time you have the urge.



post signature

© 2009 crazymamaof6

5 comments:

andrea said...

I love these cookies....it's my goal to get some cookies made this next week. I made some highly fantastic mint brownies yesterday. Nothing like signing up to bring treats to the Ward party to force you to bake something spectacular!

CassiB said...

i will have to compare your recipe to mine. i ♥ molasses cookies.
i can't stand wassail. the taste or smell.
we have a fake tree too. i want a real wreath tho, so i can smell it.
there are so many things i want to bake, but don't for fear i will just eat and eat. like the other day when Joe posted a comment on your fb post, about orange rolls. oh my, that is something my mom would make. i still want them, even bought oranges yesterday. have to get #1's Christmas dress done first. and i just realized i only have 6 days till Christmas dress sunday! aaak i'd better get crackin'

Tracy said...

Our flavor is chocolate. Choc cookies, choc fudge, choc covered pretzels, and our new fav Crazy Hot Cocoa.

Tracy

sherry said...

Your timing is impeccable, as usual. I have a cookie exchange tomorrow thatI havent planned for, and I wanted a gingerbread type cookie. Thanks!

Andrea said...

mmmmm those sound delicious! I ♥ warm, soft molasses cookies!

Crazymama's RAD Followers

Get up and dance!


do you ever feel like............

do you ever feel like............