Monday, October 22, 2007

memory lane monday- dating for 11 years!

** edit**
we did nothing for our hook-up avirssary . since i forgot until yesterday. haha! but we are doing our lunch of the week today.

Ok last week was our 11 year anniversary of Lance and I hooking up! yeah i say hooking up because we had actually met the year before. I have to start in a round about way. I had met a guy at singles ward and we had been hanging out a little and gone out on one date and one day he called and asked if i wanted to go out on a date to Serrano's turns out , with a group of friends from the singles ward him and his friends picked me up or we met them somewhere and then went to a girls house, she has a pool table and we met there, they played a little pool and then we went to Serrano's somehow it comes up in conversation that Lance didn't date, and it had in fact been a year since he had gone out. i was shocked and appalled being only 18 i was out to date a lot. so that was weird to me. and he had this weird bump on his knee that looked and felt like a boob but with no nipple weird. (he did flooring and we later found out it was bursitis) . anyway he was interesting, and turns out Lance bought my dinner because the dumb guy i was with didn't have any money only a card and lance put it on his card and everyone was supposed to pay him, well the guy i was with never did. DORK! so upon meeting him i wasn't fabulously impressed with him but he was friends with the guy i was with and lance's brother and lance's best friend. so we all rode together and they wanted to go watch a movie after dinner at Lance's house on Lance's big screen this was before when Big screen tv's weren't a dime a dozen.
we went to watch the movie and hung out with Matt lance's little brother, I only went out with that guy for a week, then he broke up with me because he was prude and making out with me was too much for him. dork! a few months later I ran into Matt at church and said hey is Lance dating yet? and said why don't you set me up? i guess Matt tried but Lance refused to go out with me because he hated the first dorky guy i was with when he met me and lumped me into the dork group by association. so occasionally I'd see Lance at my work , I worked at Payless cashways , it was a hardware store, and lance was in construction and he came in once or twice. and I'd be nice and say hi. but that was it. but one time i said," hey why don"t you ask me out?" and he said," i would but I'm not dating." all while come to find out later that his brother and friend were telling him to ask me out, and they would see me while I was around going out and going to the dances , out with some singles ward guys and whatever. he wouldn't go out with me though from the dork in the past. fine his loss.

so a year later Lance shows up at singles ward. (he was pretty much inactive and didn't come lots ) but i think I was the door greeter at the time since i was friendly. and i said hi and whatever, well the next night he showed up at my family home evening group, in his brand new 4 door chevy truck (before those were a dime a dozen too.), he came , i think he sat by me, i was there and flirted with more than a couple guys and when he was leaving he came to say good bye and i walked him to the entry way, i said hey are you dating yet? how is that dating-fast going? then i said, " hey , why don't you ask me out?" and he told me "i don't ask girls out, but you can ask me out." So i said, " fine you wanna go out on Friday night? but you're paying!" and yes he did and then he said "you wanna go for a ride in my new truck?" it was a week or two old so i said ok and we went for a drive, he even let me drive which i thought was pretty great, i for some reason thought it was pretty great when a guy would let me drive their car. anyway we were driving around. and i said hey wanna see where i live? and we were driving there from the house family home evening group was at in my neighborhood, and on the way there he pointed out his house around the block , he'd moved, and lived around the block from me . crazy, so we parked at the end of my street and chatted for a long time and then at some point we went back to his house, i met his mom, and saw his brother Matt again. and we listened to music talked , and totally made out that night. then later in the week we went on our official first date. that he picked me up and we went to dinner and to the lake to walk around. oh and we went shopping and he let me pick out new shoes for him. so 11 years ago we started dating and now i always have to pick out his shoes at the store. buy them with the money he makes and bring them home. i totally spaced it last week but the night we hooked up was October 15 1996. 11 years ago.
apparently our dating anniversary is not top on our list of days to celebrate but it is memorable. and really i was peeved then that i was the one doing the chasing, and that he manipulated the situation. to make me be the dork. or feel like one anyway. i think girls always want to be the one being chased. but he was shy and i wasn't , so that is how it worked out. and turns out he planned to come to my group he was finally ready to start dating and was coming to see me. but i barely dragged that tidbit out of him a couple years ago. he would say he didn't remember.

16 comments:

smithfam said...

That is a fun story! When I went to get on you blog, it blocked me out from because of my Netnanny. It said from "MATURE" content. Too funny. It must have been from the word "BOOB"
11 blissful years later I am sure.

kay said...

haha!! boys are dumb. they don't know a good thing when it's staring them in the face!!

Ruth Anne said...

1. I can't believe how bold you are.
2. I can't believe you remember the date you went out.

That's impressive!

onehm said...

1. I'm so impressed with your bravery with the opposite sex.
2. Love all the details you remember! Very amazing after 6 kids.
3. Are you loving that people are being blocked out of your blog because of "mature content"?? That seems quite bold, if I do say so myself!!
;o) Love yer blog, girl!

Libby said...

Sounds like you broke his "date fast" with a fun night!!!! Happy Anniversary!

Jen said...

LOL of all the info I remember from you guys back then, this wasn't it! ;)! Cute story, I didn't know it at all, it was a fun ready. And I didn't know you guys only started dating like a couple weeks before us.

careyttops or katelyn's kid kitchen said...

you make me laugh so hard!!! you're just so upfront & personal that I can't get over how fun it is to know you so so so well & i've never really met you! you're so honest & i love it!
what an entertaining post!

crystal said...

So funny! (hussy) Your kids are going to have fun reading this when they're older.

Brandi said...

What a fun first date story/experience!! Congrats on the 11 years!! :0)

Jamie said...

Fabulous ,fun story:):o) That man of yours is very,very tricky!!

Katie said...

That made me laugh. I love it that you made out on your first date. Way to go.

Unknown said...

WOW! I can't believe you remember the date of the first date you went on...that is awesome! Im not sO great when it comes to dates! Im doing good to remember all my kids birthdays! :) Even that get's tricky....

Had to laugh at the description of the bump on his leg! That is hilarious! Great memory Lane post!

blah, blah by lindsey said...

love that. i can't remember the actual date but i do remember pretty everything that went on, on our offical first date!

janna said...

How fun! Thanks for the memories!!!
Is Lance still shy?

Webb Family said...

You are so brave! I love hearing about how couples met. Happy 11 years!! Thats a big deal, did you do anything fun?

Andrea said...

that story is hilarious!!! i love it!
Happy 'hook-up' anniversary!!

Crazymama's RAD Followers

Get up and dance!


do you ever feel like............

do you ever feel like............