Thursday, June 26, 2008

Photo story Friday. - just when i thought i had something i was good at....

Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek






Just when I thought I had something all figured out, Pierce kicked it into high gear and  RUINED MY PLANS for a normal, Safe, NATURAL, delivery!

He started out life, changing the way things are done around here, and is still always doing it HIS way. Life is no longer predictable, OR boring with this kid around.

This is the long winded tale of birth of my 6th child. Consider yourself warned. do yourself a favor, stop right here if you are pregnant, no need to freak yourself out!


Pierce threw me for a loop and kicked it up a notch FROM THE BEGINNING!

I'll start with saying that Pierce is the first surprise pregnancy for me, EVER.
Even Liberty 10 1/2 months younger than Peyton, wasn't a surprise, I was open to the idea of her while still on the Delivery table with Peyton.

So you can imagine the shock when 8 weeks after radiation, and 3 months after a total thyroid removal from thyroid cancer , I find out I'm pregnant!?! WHAT? how did that happen?  I had been told not to get pregnant at least until after my 6 month follow up and they didn't have my thyroid hormones, or lack thereof under control AT ALL YET! I was exhausted,  and couldn't take anything to help with my energy levels, not to mention Lance was a full time student in his LAST YEAR of COLLEGE!

It went from bad to WORSE for a minute at my first appointment when my Dr. had me on the ultrasound table and he hesitated a minute too long.

Me: "it's not twins right?" ha ha joking with my OB (for all of my kids including 2 miscarriages.)

Dr: (pregnant pause) " Um, well I see two placentas here."

Me: I burst into tears FREAKING OUT, 7 kids under 7 and I'm not cleared from thyroid cancer?
I just had 100 millicuries of Radioactive iodine, in-patient not even 2 months before? Being pregnant right then was stressful enough, but twins?

Dr: "Well, let me just see here, I only see one heartbeat. there were two sacs, but only one is progressing, you may have to pass the other one"

Me: still bawling, but say, "well the LORD KNOWS I couldn't handle twins !" (WHEW, huge sigh of relief, but still freaking out about all of it.)

A few weeks later, I passed the second placenta, and spotted. not awesome but seriously I TOTALLY! COULD NOT! HAVE HANDLED TWINS! Peyton was still 7 when I delivered.  I had 6 kids age 7 and under. Insanity by everyone's standards even my own, by this point.

The pregnancy was hellish, I was sicker than I'd ever been, depressed (and not taking anything, I figured enough damage could have been done from the radiation and my lack of thyroid, I wasn't risking anything on top of that). So I suffered and wallowed in my depression.

My whole family suffered.

My lack of thyroid and proper dose of thyroid hormones, left me exhausted! ALL DAY, every day! I ached, I cramped, they eventually got my dose of hormones up to 400 mcg at the very end, that is the hugest my DR. had ever heard of putting anyone. Pregnancy increases the need, so they adjust the dose continuously, that meant labs every 6 weeks, Ob visits monthly , and Endocrinologist visits every 6 weeks, not to mention (barely) caring for my family and my husband in school full time, and then doing an internship too on top of it all. Hellish doesn't even describe enough how badly that whole 9 months sucked in more ways than one.

So finally I'm getting the end of my pregnancy, and I start having early stages preeclampsia. WHOOHOO free ticket for a speedy induction. I'd been induced 5 out of the 6 times NO BIG DEAL, or so I thought. I was planning on a natural delivery like the last 3 delivery's were.

Honestly, I went in thinking everything would go like normal, who cares about preeclampsia?
Well I guess they do at the hospital, it added new things to my IV, and they dimmed the lights, the Nurse kept telling me, "THIS IS A BIG DEAL". and" YOU MIGHT HAVE TO HAVE A C-SECTION!"

I laughed in that woman's FACE! This was my 6th kid! I have this down! I can do this naturally! I am a PRO! We told her to get ready to catch, my babies come fast and I don't wait for a stinking Dr.! (I'm kidding about the stinking Dr. but really I can do this on my own almost, I am THAT good!)

So the nurse is trying to scare me, and then when I refused to take off my bra, (I hate no support, and I have done it before, it's no problem! "I know what I am doing ! This is my 6th kid!")
that freaking nurse THREATENED ME that she would cut off my bra, if I had to have an emergency C-section! Seriously the bird almost flew, that wasn't happening to ME!

So my Dr. finally comes in, all chatty and nice, well as chatty as he gets, he's not really chatty but he knows me now, this is my 6th time here! We are friends! Obviously I'm a frequent flyer at his office.

He's on lunch, the plan was to start the IV antibiotics, and start the pitocin. RAD ! BRING ON THE PAIN! I told him, "I'm not waiting for you, when it's time, I've got this down."


It was a long process, all afternoon, slow boring, nothing going on but the nurse doesn't want the lights on, or me watching TV, and I can't get up and wander. She's spouting off something about the risk of seizures, loading me up with magnesium, monitoring, it's not safe, blah blah blah! whatever.

Around Dinner time the DR. comes back in to check me,  to see how it's coming along. I reply with, "slowly! up the freaking drip please." He had come in to break my water, (he always has to) anyway, he goes to break my water, and GUSH, dribble dribble, nothing, OH WAIT, let's check that again, "the babies arm is in the birth canal." I was confused and then awhile later he said, "the baby is not progressing there is not enough pressure, we'll have to get that arm back over his head so he can progress, and we can do this normally." GREAT!

Did you recall I had no epidural?

I'm sitting there thinking and may have even said, "Sure, stick your arm up there and push it back over his head." YOWZA! OUCH!?

He tried, for a long while, and then ...

I had to pee, So the Dr. and the nurse were both saying go ahead ,"you can't get up! We can't let you go walking around off the monitor, here use this lovely bed pan, and we'll stand right here over you still. and hurry, the babies heart rate isn't great, make it fast or we'll cath you."

{mentally I'm screaming} NOOOOOOOOOOOO! no catheter! PLEASE! I beg you NOOO , anything but that! ( I had a horrible catheter once with the 1st delivery and have forever refused one since.)

"FINE, (crying) I'll do it!" I managed. and then the Dr. had his arm back up in my lady bits, trying to fix the problem!

Lance is quietly reading in the chair next to me ignoring the fun I am having.

Then, the heart rate DROPS!

It continued to drop and they are calling codes over the intercom all over, and people are rushing in.

That's when the nazi Nurse says, "QUICK GET ON ALL FOURS!"

(mental thought) AHHHH MY HUGE derriere IS IN THE AIR in a hospital gown ! YOU ARE KIDDING ME! I think I said more than a few choice words! (apparently and according to Lance, they covered me up pretty quickly, but not fast enough that I am not eternally mortified by the experience.) Seriously! Scarred. For. Life. The babies heart rate picked up at the position change.

I had a load of nurses in there, they were in the middle of a shift change, so my first nazi nurse was prepping the new one coming on, as this all happened. So I had two with me, plus all the emergency reinforcements.

The heart rate drops again, and they start counting, down to a certain # and they call it and get to business! They tossed Lance some scrubs, it's going downhill fast! this C-Section is happening, and it's going down emergency style! I had no clue about how tense it was, while all my glory is in the air. HORRIFYING!

and get this ...
Lance says, "I'm not going in! I'll be sick!" he does get sick enough to puke just from the smell of the iron in my blood normally, but still! The fact that he has puked in one regular delivery is understandable. BUT STILL he was abandoning me!?

"ARE YOU Freaking KIDDING ME?! Well if you aren't, you better get my mom down here fast!" (she wasn't coming to this delivery for the first time ever, since they had a family party going on.)

Again the heart rate picked up. Ahhhhh, sigh of relief, I got to sit down , the nurse kept bugging me to lay down , but when I did, it would drop again, when I sat how I wanted, Up and Indian style, it was OK. The Dr. called her off, and told her to leave me alone if it wasn't working laying down, the new nurse started prepping me, and was nice enough to re-do the IV's and cords, and not cut off my bra like the nazi nurse threatened.

Just then the anesthesiologist came in asking, "you need me for an epidural?" Um, no, I'm delivering naturally." They sent him to the hall for a minute to wait while I talked to my OB, and since the heart rate was OK I had two options....

Option #1. Give me an epidural and try to push the arm back over babies head, to attempt to deliver vaginally (there I said it!) but if the heart rate dropped again, any deal was off the table, a C-Section, emergency style, was happening to me. STAT!

Option# 2. Get an epidural or spinal, and go for the C-section. Cut to the chase and in my opinion, avoid hurting in two places, and still having a C-section in the end.

I chose option # 2, I made a deal though, for 2 things.

A. (if we could ,without risk) I wanted to wait for my mom to get there, so I wouldn't have to go in alone.

B. I could have pictures of the C-section.

Luckily the heart rate stayed good, until I went in, my mom got there, Lance and my Dr. gave me a priesthood blessing. Then we were on our way,SPEEDY FAST! (to borrow a phrase from Junie b. Jones)

I had a spinal block in the OR and just before my Dr. made this first cut he checked me, JUST to make SURE, I had to have the C-section.

SURPRISE! Pierce grabbed the Dr.'s finger, and wouldn't let go! "He just wants to shake my hand before we meet!"

My mom came in with me, we joked the whole time. I made beached whale Jokes, and of course my mom and a nurse or two took some pictures.

Turns out his arm was too far into the birth canal, it wouldn't have gone back, no matter how much we tried, and the cord was wrapped twice.





*stop here if you don't think you can handle the graphic nature of delivery. *



HECK YEAH! I asked for pictures of my own C-section.
(as you see here for this fabulously, long winded story.)






here come the shoulders
Suction!



cutting the cord
Dr: "Here's your little Boy!"
Me: "EWWW, he looks like an alien, clean him up."

this one is my fave! starting to clean him up.


AHH, recovery, the horrors didn't end with delivery.
I had my FIRST spinal headache, a blood patch, and
numerous other indignities.
Not to mention missing out on my normal speedy recovery!
I was out of commission for weeks. When before, I was at the store 2 days later.
talk about a RUDE awakening!




stinking kid.


GOOD THING HE'S CUTE!



post signature

40 comments:

Supercool Hotmama said...

Oh, the horror of the emergency C-section! He's definitely worth it though!

Threeundertwo said...

My first twin was natural delivery, my second twin was an emergency c-section because he had the cord around his neck and his heart rate slowed.

Stinking boys.

I hope your husband gave you some major jewelry after all that.

Amy said...

What is it with the last babies? He's such a dang cute kid all your kids are.

The Apron Queen said...

What beautiful kids! And what fun pics you take! You're so right about- it's a good thing that they're cute! All the pain & trouble is worth it! :D

Pop over & see my interview with a diva, Miss Dragonfly: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com/2008/06/interview-with-miss-dragon-fly.html

Micah and Jen said...

Yep...preggo with twins and probably going to end up with the dreaded c-section....yet I still read on! I like your honesty!!! I am scared to death though, but not so much of the actual c-section...just the recovery because like you I just get up and do stuff aftewards...having the baby has always been the easy part, it's the pregnancy that I hate! Maybe, just maybe we can do it normally, but unlike you...I love my epidurals! :) Thanks for sharing, and he sure is a cute little guy!!!

tammy said...

I've heard this story before, but it didn't stop me from reading the whole entire thing again. I love to hear everyone's delivery stories.

And yep...you're in for it with him!

Lainie said...

I had an emergency c-section with my first and I also had the spinal headaches and 2 blood patches. Those are bad news! My nurse had me drink a six pack of Mt. Dew before they tried the first blood patch to make sure it wasn't just a regular headache. What a nightmare!

andrea said...

Yeah, you weren't kidding... nightmarish! Glad that you got a healthy baby in the end, and a story to one up all others ;)....and he is cute! :)

Cecily R said...

I love that even as a brand stinkin' new baby he looks like himself.

You will so glad you wrote all that down. Its such a great story and you tell it in such a funny, real way. SO RAD.

Perfect PSF Julie!

Jenifer said...

You look great in the picture! You would never know what you had just gone through! What a fun story, (for me!) I love that he shook the doctors hand! He is a cutie!

Anonymous said...

I love reading other peoples birth stories. He is cute, I love his smile, he was so cute at lunch the way he would just stare and smile.
So cute!
And you look awesome in that pic. I always looked like death after having a baby.

Laurie said...

Wow! That's a great story. I'm very pregnant and still read on. I love baby stories. Scary there at the end, glad it turned out so well. And yeah- good thing he's cute! That's what we say about Jared!

Anonymous said...

That little sweet face looks like he could be up to no good...but definately a blessing!

janna said...

I love this story! & he's a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, he is cute. That should make up for a lot.

I did read that whole thing. But being a guy, I don't think I'm allowed to really say anything about it.

sherry said...

And you really want another one? Ever? Are you going to try to do a V-BAC? My SIL is doing that , and having a hard time getting a doc to cooperate. I had preeclampsia with my last one too, but for me that meant induction four weeks early and the easiest delivery EVER. Healthy tiny baby. Hoping to mysteriously come down with preeclampsia with this one right at 36 weeks, so I get my early induction without the pesky bed rest;)

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Now THIS psf post should win an award - NOW THAT was a story and WOWZA on the photos! You're right - at least he's cute! :)

Katie said...

I've had easy deliveries, but I'm still paranoid about having this little guy. Thanks for making me feel better about it:) He is stinking cute that's how they get away with so much crap!

Shannon said...

Darn good thing he is sooo cute! What a ride that little guy took you on. His personality seems to match his birth story, which I love! You are a very lucky mama...but I am sure you already know that:)

michelle said...

He is a cutie! It always amazes me what we as mother's have to go thru, to get these little buggers here on earth!

The Sports Mama said...

I am so glad you decided to go with this story choice! :)

You re-told it awesomely! I loved how Lance was just sitting there, calmly reading.

blah, blah by lindsey said...

i still can't believe all the things that happened to you just from one kid!! he is adorable though

Erin said...

Girl you are amazing! That little boy sure does like to have things his way doesn't he. Good thing he's so cute.

Susie said...

Even with only one child we now have something very special in common! I can wait to write my story--but I will but it is A LOT like yours!
GREAT pics. I always wanted to know what a c-section looked like. Sorry about the tough pregnancy though. Wow, he's even cuter now that I see how he got here. What a champ.
I love the visual of him grabbing the docs finger! How cute.
WHooHOo for c-sections!

Mamarazzi said...

fabulous read!! super cool post!

i love all the pics, even the delivery ones...miracles are a beautiful thing...

i hope one or two or threee find me soon!

Jamie said...

The sixth one does not want to go unoticed or be left out. He had to start by making a grand entrance. Yep, he is adorable. All of your kid are so cute and I loved the bows today:))

Jeremy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

Sorry that was me who deleted that last comment, I forgot that my husband was signed in and I thought it would looke wierd for him to leave this comment.....

Anyway, That is enough to make me not want to try for one more girl. My last one was scary enough. But it is amazing how some of us can forget the horror of scary deliveries and still want more.

And I am glad you finally got your way with the bra and all..I hate mean nurses..they don't belong in any labor deliver or recovery area's. I actually got one in trouble once, since I got friends in hight places!!!

ps...I have a little contest going on at my blog..come check it out!!

Unknown said...

Holla from another mom of six! Found you on TipJunkie....love your blog! I'm just startin', so mine's a work in progress, but I'm getting there!

Crissybug said...

He definitly made a memorable entrance! I sure hope and pray I don't ever have something likde that happen to me.

I think it is so cool that they let you take pictures. My sister had to have a c-section with both her babies. With her second they did it without the 'curtain'! Kinda cool, but trippy. The cool thing about it was she was able to help take the baby out, and hold the baby right after she was born...so it was almost like having the baby regular.

Anyway! You ROCK. Totally amazing. Considering the circumstances of this pregnancy...it just shows how much Pierce is meant to be a part of your family...because lets face it...the odds were definitely against you. I am thankful that even though things weren't ideal, they worked out in the end.

FallFleur said...

This is the first time I have visited your blog (really). With such a great post (shocking, horrifing, inspiring, suspensful,humorous and absolutly wonderful) I'll be coming back often.

Robyn said...

WOW that was quite the post. I wasn't too worried about preeclampsia either until my last visit and they wouldn't tell me my blood pressure. I thought that was weird the nurse wanted your bra. I wore mine for my unscheduled c-sect, my girl was breach. I'm like you I always wear it. I can't believe they let you take photos, but they are cool.

onehm said...

He IS cute, and TOTALLY worth it all!!
I cant' believe that you were shopping 2 days later...I was out of commission for weeks, even with a vaginal delivery.

Susan said...

Hello Lady...that was quiet a story (that I found randomely at 4 am cause I couldn't sleep) I am headed for my 3rd BigC in four weeks-nothing scares me anymore. We have complete video coverage of the 1st 2 and hope to sneak it on the 3rd. Sooo gross I tell ya. Anyway...HI,long time no see.

BTW who is your doctor?

Debra said...

He is a cutie!!! I TOTALLY HATED my c-section too. I am like you... at the store a couple of days later after a natural birth. It took me FOR.E.VER. to recover from the c-sectioN!!!

Connie said...

You are so funny...I was so not a believer of people that said a c-section wasn't a big deal, but for me it wasn't...I LOVED the spinal...I looked a lot like you in your post spinal photo. Completely high. Your son is really so cute, I love to read about him....

Unknown said...

I enjoyed your story, and how much detail you put into it. You are good at telling stories, and you can totally make me laugh all the time! Scary pregnancy, but glad you and he were alright!!

Are You Serious! said...

♡ My vag birth's easy as EVER! c-sections SUCK!!! I totally agree! What a story! My husband was right there in the middle of the whole c-section loving every minute of it. :)

Becky @ Babes in Hairland said...

Hey, I had the same thing happen w/the C-section stuff and it was freakin' scary - my first was 9 lbs. and delivered "normal" and then the 2nd two ended out being c-section. My anesthesiologist stole my camera and took a whole roll of film w/o us even knowing until it was developed! Never thought I'd see my insides like that! Rather shocking - so your pictures are very tame -- unless you have one of your placenta too! Sheesh! Gotta love being a women. He is darling though - so worth it in the end!

Sarah said...

well, i'm pretty sure my uterus just shriveled up and died after that story. never. having. kids.

and i have to agree that babies are cute once they're all cleaned up. but in those first few minutes right after birth -- yuck.

you're a trooper.

Crazymama's RAD Followers

Get up and dance!


do you ever feel like............

do you ever feel like............