Wednesday, December 3, 2008

"you're right. She does smell good!" pondering perfume

Today while driving , i remembered in a round about way, a random perfume i wore in Jr. High. then i started thinking about ALL the perfumes I've worn in the past. back when my goal was to attract a guy, any guy with a provocative scent. something that would make them think,"OH she Smells good!"

not that I'm sure that any particular scent did that for me. but certain fragrances bring back memories. and i can recall the majority of my fragrances. the first, the faves, the less than fabulous on me scents, and my faves on guys.

THERE is something about a good smelling cologne on a guy....HOLD ME BACK! YUM!

so I'll list for you the perfumes i recall.

Love's baby soft-the perfect first perfume for a little girl. i was in elementary school I'm thinking 6 or 7 when i received this as a gift from my mom . i don't recall wearing it often. but totally remember the name, and the scent. i bought it for my girls first perfume.

Exclamation- worn in Jr. High around 9th grade. a cheap drug store perfume. smelled FABULOUS on me. of course i wouldn't admit it wasn't some designer perfume if someone asked me.

Navy-smelled good. i wore it once in a while another cheap drugstore perfume. clean, classic. not too strong or trendy.

Aspen for men-one friend had the theory to wear what we liked to smell.

Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers-brings back memories. whenever i smell it. i remember wearing it but i don't think it smelled right on me. not fabulous.

Patchouli essential oil-in 9th grade. there was a few months i wore this, it was always too strong. it probably stunk. but i liked it. Christmas break 9th grade. AHHH the memories.

Jessica Mcclintock perfume-Ali had it. OH it was DREAMY. 14 year old dances here we come. it was the HUGEST treat if she shared it.

Poeme by Lancome- always smelled really good on me. lots of compliments. i wore it at the end of high school, and when i was single. Angela had it, so i got some too. i wore it until i was married. maybe even until after i had Peyton.
and stopped wearing daily perfume.

Il Bacio- smelled Heavenly-i got it for Christmas in High school. LOVED IT! and wore it for years. i originally smelled it in a magazine and had to have it. probably around Junior year.

Tribu-by Benetton- another high school/single fragrance. loved it. smelled good to me. i wore it off and on until my kids lost the spray nozzle.

Clinique Happy- Lance bought it for me one year. i loved how it smelled in the bottle and on samples but it REEKS on me. NOT DELIGHTFUL.

Nautica for women- was a gift. after i got married. i wore it for a couple years. and it was just light for daily use. not spectacular on me by not bad. i wouldn't say it was one of the most memorable fragrances for me. but a good back up.


i stopped wearing perfume when i stopped having time to slather on lotion everyday. and leaving the house.

like i said before, it was for attempting to attract guys.

Lance isn't one to get excited about perfume. so why bother. and it's just one of those things that flew out the window. UNLESS i'm going somewhere special and remember, and actually know where my perfume is. i don't wear it. mostly because i don't keep it out and handy because my kids kept getting into it. either breaking bottles of it. or loosing the spray nozzles. and then i wonder if my chemical balance after having kids doesn't mesh well with old fragrances. OR if my perfume is just old. it doesn't have the same effect anymore, either way.

Guy colognes i LOVE that have totally always "done it for me" ?

i'll just put pictures.

the 90's classic. for all hot guys? i think so. what did you think of guys that wore this? SEXY?

Cool Water-WHOOHOO! hot guys wear this.


Ralph Lauren Romance. i love it. unfortunatly is doesn't smell fabulous on Lance. bummer. because it's SEXXY! maybe i should start wearing it. at least i'd be smelling good to myself.



ok random thoughts really turned into a trip down memory lane for me. a long one.

i have questions for you...

~WHAT are your all time fave perfumes? and colognes?

~what is your signature scent?

~is it just me or does everyone have less time for things like grooming?

~what grooming habit did you insist on having time for when you were single VS now that you are married and a parent you don't bother with?



I'm off for a hair cut and eyebrow wax.YAY ME!


have a fab day.


post signature

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE perfume!!! I use to have sunflower, I liked it. All my friends wore exclamation, I never owned any. I love good smelling men-yummy yummy-. I wish I could remember the names of all the stuff I had. I have a favorite but I ran out and can't find it in stores anymore, it's Gigli by Giorgio Armani (pretty sure I spelled all of that wrong but who cares)It's my Favorite and I absolutely LOVE the way it smells.
OK I ran in my bathroom and found the ones I still have, lets see, I have Incognito, my sister use to wear it and I liked it so I bought some and she yelled at me for stealing her scent-girls, it was cheap. I also have Giorgio Beverly Hills and Giorgio Beverly Hills Red 2. I also have dream angels heavenly by victoria secret and Lucky Brand for Girls (I think thats what its called) any way I wear the Lucky one everyday, I like it.
I like scented lotions and perfume, I am not a huge fan of make-up but love the smelly stuff, I always have and always will.

Anonymous said...

OK scratch the Gigle by Giorgio Armani, don't know where I got that from, it's Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigle and I justed googled it and I can still by it online and it's super cheap, not sure why because when I bought it, it was SUPER expensive.

The Montgomerys said...

That was the best flash back ever!! Exclamation was mu fav!!!!!!

Threeundertwo said...

I used to wear perfume all the time, but to be honest? Not so much once I got married. And now it just isn't in my budget.

It seems I hardly ever notice women wearing perfume any more. Too bad, it's so feminine.

lifewithquads said...

I don't really have favorites for myself and usually just wear whatever I've been given as a gift, although some of them I don't like so never use. lol

As for men's fragrances I absolutely love obsession and make sure my husband always has a bottle of it. When I smell it my first thought is sex so he doesn't mind wearing it at all. lol I also like Paul Sebastian and Drakkar.

onehm said...

You totally had me at your title...love the twilight reference!
:)

I love when DH wears cologne. But as for me, I can't commit to a scent yet. HMMMMM maybe I should start thinking about finding one.

Rebecca Irvine said...

I love Tiffany, by the diamonds company. But it is really expensive. I bought a bottle when I was engaged and still have a little left. I recently saw they have it available on e-bay... maybe I could splurge on a Christmas gift for myself. But you are right about perfume going by the wayside after marriage.

Leslie said...

I totaly loved Exclamation and Jessica Mclintock. Infact I still spray Jessica Mclintock on everyonce in a while when I run out of my Amarige. But I do wear it probably too much. It always seems to run out, just at the right time so I can use Birthday Money or Christmas Money to go get a new bottle.

Castlegate Blockwatch said...

Ugh; I'm a perfume-a-holic. My FAVE is Bvlgari's Red Tea (such a complexly layered scent). Heaven Heaven Heaven on Earth! After that, I'd say Givenchy's Organza Indecence and Lancome's Connexion (for everyday).

On Todd: Pi, Chrome, and Ed Hardy Men's. (I have Ed Hardy women's and it's not great on me).

On Allie (who's turning 15 on Sunday!!!), Lancome's Miracle or any of the fun and fruity Escadas.

Love's Baby Soft...now that brings back memories! I remember loving that as a kid, too. That, and I was really into Tabu when I was like 10. LOL!

Castlegate Blockwatch said...

by the way, to Suzanne, I was in love with Romeo Gigli back in 1989 (it was the first expensive smell I ever bought for myself, with my first big paycheck in the Air Force [I say "big" jokingly]). You're right...it was sooo expensive back then! You can also still get it at Perfumania at the mall.

Castlegate Blockwatch said...

Oh crap, I'm signed in under my blogwatch blog LOL; it's sandi of http://crapstain.blogspot.com in case you were scratching your head :o)

KayDee said...

Wow that brought back some memories. I dont remember wearing perfume until high school and I think I wore Poison by Christian Dior. After I got married my husband would buy me cucumber melon from bath and body works. My husband cant wear colonge, but I used to like the smell of eternity for men.

sherry said...

Oh- the memories! Drakkar was my first favorite. My oldest sister's boyfriend used it when I was just a kid and I loved the smell of his car. Then my first High School boyfriend wore it, and it totally brings back memories. Which is why my husband always refused to wear it. What a shame...Do you have that problem? A scent reminding you of inappropriate boys? Eternity for men I loved too. I bought it for my husband when we were dating so it reminds me of being a newly wed. Good times. I wore Colors by Benetton in High School, and it really worked for me. I had a boyfriend who loved it. I still wear it sometimes because it is so light. But it is so inexpensive, I don't admit to it;) Perfume mostly annoys me now in my old age, so I don't wear it much thinking it may annoy those round me. Make sense? (cologn on boys doesn't annoy me though. I wonder why?) I will usually just use a good lotion from bath and body works and call it good. I used Sunflowers when I was 19, but I don't like it. It wasn't a good match for me. There was a perfume from Victoria's secret that I used when I got married, but I can't remember the name now and they stpped making it long ago. I would wear that if I could find it. I'm rambling now. See what you started? Smell is the strongest link to memory.

Libby said...

You crack me up. I totally forgot all about Exclamation and Navy. I loved those. I too used to love Jessica McClintock. I have an old bottle under my bathroom sink. It's over 10 years old but I can't part with it. I have been wearing Elizabeth Arden's Fifth Avenue for a long time. It's the only one that doesn't give me a headache. Fun post.

tammy said...

I love good smelling men, and really want to ask them when I run into them in stores or whatever what they're wearing, but afraid that might seem like a come on, so don't. I can't wear perfumes on myself. They give me headaches and make me nauseous most of the time. So I stick with the lotions. Except Pear which I wore when I was prego with Taylor and nauseous. Now I can't do that one anymore. Dang. It was my fave too.

Jen said...

LOL! I always wore CK One when it came out! In fact I am sure that Jeff and I have a bottle still sitting in the medicine cabinet in our bathroom! Jeff wore Claiborne for Men when I met him and mmmmm yummy! One of my favs! Along with Eternity/Escape for Men.

I mainly wore the ck one and I remember Sunflowers, Poison. Jeff got me some J'Adore by Christian Dior and I LOVED it, but it is $$ and once we had kids that never happened again, although one bottle lasted me for about 3 or 4 years! Now I wear a lovely number called Pine Sol!

Webb Family said...

This is a great post!
Funny how scents bring back so many memories.
Paige & I had Sunflowers, Exclamation and our cousin would pay us a dime for a spray! Too funny!!
I love cologne & I wish Mike would wear cologne-NOPE
And, he doesn't like a lot of perfume.

goingsome said...

Oh, you just took me down memory lane. I can't even rememeber the perfume I used to wear as a younger adult. The only ones that come to mind are Obession and Eternity. Oh yes, and Navy, as my "budget" perfume. I occassionly still use colognes, hang on, I actually have to go to the cabinet..........."Deep Red" Hugo, "Weekender" Burberry, and "Mania" Armani. I still like to use them , though it has been years since I purchased.

I have heard that colognes change their scent compossion after a 1-2years, so it may be time to reinvest, but I just can't seem to buy at those prices.

Always buy the smallest bottle, since it may be a few years until you finish the bottle.

These days I am lucky if I make it into the shower, let alone rememeber to spritz myself. I feel it is a good day if I can get some makeup on and deodorant too.

Keep in mind I get a 15 minute window to get ready, until I am distracted by 2 wild boys. :)

crystal said...

heehee we are on the same wavelength b/c i'm getting a brow wax tomorrow.

I wore Happy for a while 'til I was pregnant w/ Max, & it has made me sick to my stomach ever after.

I seriously cannot abide perfume. It gives me migraines.

Give me liquid Tide any day!!!!

Ruth Anne said...

Wow, exclamation totally brings back memories. Yeah, that was me. I guess I am your demographic.

Kimm said...

So many memories! You forgot Obsession for men....total turn on! I wore Poison for a while, Liz Claibourne, and my sisters totally smell good in Tommy, but it REEKS! on me, just like Happy by Clinique. I love Ralph. Bob when we are going somewhere special, wear "Acqua de Gio" light, but good smelling.

Laura said...

I love this post. I used to always wear Eternity. I also had Clinque Happy but its a headache producer for me now.

Alan wear Cool Water its the only cologne he owns.

I have a hard time with perfumes as many give me a headache.

Music and scents bring back tons of memories.

I love the facebook status bar, you know that!

Janeen said...

What a great post! I love (and have for several years) Beautiful by Estee Lauder. Anais Anais reminds of of being a young newlywed, and I still love that one, too. I'm wearing it today. I use a lot of the Bed and Bath sprays for every day because they are so inexpensive. But the scent doesn't last very long. White Shoulders reminds me of my sophomore prom (not a good memory...the guy was a looser!)
Your detailed memory amazes me. That's all I can specifically remember!

Janeen said...

Oh, and Grey Flannel reminds me of dating Scott. And Old Spice reminds me of my high school boyfriend! I know, I'm dating myself! I love cologne on men. Scott currently wears Polo Black and my boys steal it, too! Love when those junior high boys spray on cologne before leaving for school. And when you're the car pool mom, it's pretty funny! The Abercrombie & Fitch colognes are nice on my big boys.

Sarah said...

never wore perfume at all growing up b/c dad was supposedly allergic to it. then randomly in high school mom started buying him drakkar noir. go figure.

now, its burberry london for me.

Crazymama's RAD Followers

Get up and dance!


do you ever feel like............

do you ever feel like............