Wednesday, September 21, 2011

with a warm sleeping baby on my chest...

There is a room in my house that I hate. It's cluttered and piled with all of the clean laundry that needs to be folded.

A baby swing graces the corner and the vacuum stands silent as a specter watching me. Haunting me. The room closes in around me.

Every time I walk in or look over I grow irritable and frustrated.

But in that room, next to the fireplace, is a rocking chair.

As soon as I sit down to rock the baby it all fades away.

The red couch piled high, the baskets of clean clothes waiting, always waiting to be folded.

I sit in that ugly brown rocking chair and hold my delicious warm baby, feverish from his shots last week, teething and fussy, and I hold him on my chest for hours while he naps.

In my experience this stage of napping with mom only lasts a little while. Soon he will stop napping all together. And until then i'll savor every morning and afternoon I can, rocking my baby for as long as he'll let me.

Listening to the steady rhythm of his breathing. when we get cold i'll grab a towel off of the pile, handy and just the right length to cover us up with and we'll nap together.

The laundry will be there waiting, the vacuum will stand watch.

Someday my house will be clean and uncluttered and laundry will be folded , put away and I'll miss my warm delicious baby and I'll know I savored every minute as I held him in my arms and on my chest.

No regrets.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2

4 comments:

Jenifer said...

Always a battle, isn't it? I find it hard to relax with a mess, but you'll never get those moments back. Good mama :) Wish I had taken more of them.

jayna said...

that's right. no regrets. plenty of time to put laundry away. not nearly enough time to cuddle the bundles of joy. ;) great post.

Janeen said...

I'd say you have your priorities straight. I sure miss having a sleeping baby on my chest. Enjoy, it does pass much to quickly.

One Fantastic Housewife! said...

I love this post. So sweet. I always say that one day everything will be clean and quiet...and we will wish it wasn't!

Crazymama's RAD Followers

Get up and dance!


do you ever feel like............

do you ever feel like............