Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I'm not a foodie, i just play one in this post. WWTKW


Welcome to we want to know Wednesday with Mamarazzi and yours truly, Crazymama!

this week I'm asking the questions. It's standardized testing week here and in an attempt to send the herd out the door with a full belly I've made hot breakfast for them. So i'm on a food kick. Thus the questions.

I'm not usually a food blogger.



null



1. What is your favorite go to breakfast recipe for special occasions or company?

2. What is your policy for kids that don't want to eat what you are serving?

3. Do you take treats to neighbors? What kind?

4. What is your most used spice in your cupboard? (Besides salt or pepper)

5. What is your favorite fruit ? Do you have a Fave veggie?

Bonus question....

6. It was tax day here in the US. Did you get a return? How do you spend it?


AND HERE WE GO WITH MY ANSWERS....

1. What is your favorite go to breakfast recipe for special occasions or company?

i do pancakes, eggs, hashbrowns and sausage. the patty kind, not the links. but that's alot to whip up in the morning. i don't do it often, it's a breakfast for dinner meal or one when i don't have to get the herd out of the house by 8 am.

BUT i did whip up some amazing scones today.


Fruit Filled Scones:
4 cups flour
4 cups cake flour
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 Tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 lb. cold butter

Choice of fruits:
2 cups blueberries + zest of 2 lemons
2 cups blackberries + zest of 2 lemons
2 cups chopped strawberries + zest of 2 oranges

1/2 - 1 quart half & half (depending how juicy the fruits are that you're using)

In a bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and then cut into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter. Add the fruits. Stir in enough half & half to just make a moist dough. It should be moistened, but not sticky. With an ice cream scoop, scoop out dough 2" apart on parchment lined baking pans. Bake in 375 degree oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Top with glaze.

Glaze:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk or half & half
a bit of vanilla & almond extract

Combine until the consistency of heavy cream. Drizzle over scones while hot.

These are literally the BEST things in the world! They're not for the calorie conscious, with a POUND of butter and a quart of half &half....but they are worth every single teensy tiny calorie. This recipe makes about 2 dozen scones. And the good news is, you can make the dry mix with butter cut in, separate it into freezer bags in batches, and then add the fruit and Half & Half as needed when ready to bake. You can make as little or as many as you want! **They are best eaten fresh from the oven.**

We've also made cinnamon scones using this recipe instead of the fruit. Mix together 4T. melted butter mixed with 2 tsp. cinnamon, 2 T. sugar, and 3/4 cup brown sugar...and add this AFTER you add the liquid. *Enjoy*

and it is from this blog.

Note: i didn't have cake flour so i just used all purpose flour, it was fine still, i also didn't bother with the orange zest for the same reason. it was still fabulous. I'm pretty sure you can add anything and it would still turn out delightful.


they were strawberry.

I thought they were FABULOUS, so did the hubs and the older boys, the little girls were weirded out by the "pink things" (strawberries). I just thought , whatever, more for me. ;)

2. What is your policy for kids that don't want to eat what you are serving?

IF the don't like what I'm serving, i let mine make pb&j for themselves. or something else that i don't have to make or clean up. cheese chips, ramen, cheese crisp. i don't cater to pickiness, but i don't make a big deal about it either. i was the picky one. AND turns out later when i grew up i discovered most of the things i had aversions to as a kid, i was allergic to. and some things i still gross out over. it's ok. they still have to eat.

3. Do you take treats to neighbors? What kind?

depends, i gave scones to some neighbors tonight. i take cookies around. sometimes when i've made a bunch of Jam, i send some over. i still have guilt that we didn't take treats to the new neighbors down the street.

4. What is your most used spice in your cupboard? (Besides salt or pepper)

Minced onion. i add them to all sorts of things. I also use chili powder pretty often.

5. What is your favorite fruit ? Do you have a Fave veggie?

i am a fan of seasonal fruits. during that season. Peaches, strawberries, cherries, tangerines in November when they are ripe on the tree.

fave veggie? i am a HUGE FAN of cucumbers. i like them plain, with dip, with lime, chili powder and salt. yummy.

Bonus question....

6. It was tax day here in the US. Did you get a return? How do you spend it?

we didn't get a refund. :( turns out without owning a house this year we ended up paying. LAME.

i would have spent mine on catching up on stuff that we need but don't afford week to week. shoes for the kids, summer programs, tires. exciting things like that. wahhhhh. no catching up this year.


ok thanks for playing and linking up! hope you have a FABULOUS wednesday.










post signature

© 2012 crazymamaof6

15 comments:

Jo said...

Going to have to try out your muffin recipe ..... mmh sounds good!

I really try not to make a big deal out of fussy eaters either. But I want them to keep trying 'new' things and often they love it duh!

Cucumbers are very popular in our house ... they are good!

Randomlicious Memoirs said...

I wanna be your neighbor! Scones and Jam sounds like a british delight! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sorry about you owing. I think that's worse than breaking even. I understand about using the money to buy the extras that aren't fancy. That's how I grew up and spent most of my adult life. Even now, when I panic about the cost of something, my husband just stares as me. He does not get it. Which is why, of course, our tax refund goes towards the house and not other things. :)

Hope you have a spectacular Wednesday.

Our 365 Days said...

that recipes sounds good! I'm going to have to try it out!

That stinks you didn't get a refund...we got about 1/2 has much as we hoped/thought we would, so we didn't get to do the extra stuff we wanted to either {like replacing our awful bed!}

Our 365 Days said...

that recipes sounds good! I'm going to have to try it out!

That stinks you didn't get a refund...we got about 1/2 has much as we hoped/thought we would, so we didn't get to do the extra stuff we wanted to either {like replacing our awful bed!}

Jen said...

those scones sound and look soooo good - wish i wasn't doing gluten free or they'd be on my list for this weekend! thanks for sharing :)
cheers,
jen

VandyJ said...

I'm going to have to try out that scone recipe. I love scones.
I also love summer because the fruits I love are in season and usually cheaper.

Jill said...

That scone recipe sounds amazing. I love that the little girls didn't want to eat "the pink things"...My nephew is famous for finding things in his food that he doesn't like. I'm always insulted when he won't eat my spaghetti sauce, because of "the red chunks"...AKA diced tomatoes. C'mon, kid.

Xazmin said...

I've never had cucumbers with chili powder on them - I must try that!

My husband is a picky eater, and he is not allergic - he just PRETENDS to be when we go out somewhere - he is such a dork!

I never get a tax refund. Taxes are stupid.

Unknown said...

Those scones look really, really good. Going to have to try them soon.

Ricki Treleaven said...

I wish we were neighbors because I love scones!!!

Mamarazzi said...

the scones sound amazeballs!!

i want you for my neighbor, but not just for the scones...i think it would be a blast living next door to you and the herd.

janna said...

I love these. But was to late to add my to the linkey thing!

:) You rock!

tammy said...

Do you like fruits and veggies together like in a salsa? Because Fresh and Easy makes a yummy mango salsa that has cucumbers in it. We're addicted to it right now.

We paid too because my husband likes to hang onto the tax money all year in his savings account instead of letting the government have it earlier than they need to. It's hard to write that check though.

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

I'm not a food blogger either, I tend to ignore food so I can keep at my junk finds and revamps as well as creating things, decorating and photographing life and the beach. But it's fun to see what others are making and doing and get some new ideas.

If you ask me, anything with glaze is worth significant consideration!

Crazymama's RAD Followers

Get up and dance!


do you ever feel like............

do you ever feel like............