Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4th of July edition of We want to Know Wednesday





null

This weeks questions are brought to you by  Me (Crazymama)with a little help from Kenzie @ Cbmommyhood

The Questions...
1. What are your 4th of July plans?
2. Are you going to set off fireworks?
Which has Crazymama wondering...
3. What is your favorite BBQ side dish?
4. What is your favorite BBQ main dish?
5. Do you decorate or dress in red white and blue for the 4th? 


My answers...
1. What are your 4th of July plans?

Just BBQ and swim with the family at home. 

2. Are you going to set off fireworks?
the kids are dying to, but we haven't bought any yet. 

Which has Crazymama wondering...
3. What is your favorite BBQ side dish?
I love  bbq baked beans. 
Baked Beans (big recipe for a potluck, adjust proportions for your family)
3 lg cans pork and beans (drain extra juice off top, and pick out that nasty chunk of fat)
1 onion, chopped and sauteed
1/2 cup barbeque sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 T. mustard
1 lb bacon, cut into 1 inch slices, fried (put half in and save half aside for garnish)
Salt as needed
Mix and heat in crock pot until hot and you're ready to serve.

or another recipe my friend Bridget shared at bunko called Calico beans. 

Calico beans

1 large can of pork & beans
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of butter beans
1/2 cup bacon diced & chopped
1/2 of a medium onion
1lb of hamburger
1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of ketchup
1/2 tsp. garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. vinegar
Brown hamburger and onions, drain grease.

Put everything in a greased casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake @ 350 for 45min to 1 hour.

4. What is your favorite BBQ main dish?
I'm happy with a grilled burger. but i think we are doing chicken today. 

I've been craving this since I saw it on Pinterest. 

5. Do you decorate or dress in red white and blue for the 4th? 


I usually do it up with matching outfits for the kids. but this year I'm slacking. I bought shirts for the little boys but shafted everyone else. 

As far as decorations go,  I have my flag bunting up hanging in the front window but I dropped the ball  on the decor this year. I don't even have something cute hanging on the front door. 

I hope you have a safe and Happy 4th of July with your family! 






post signature
© 2012 crazymamaof6

10 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

wait. what? no matching outfits? tisk tisk tisk...and here you had my vote for RAD mom of the year. i will hold off, for now ;) ok you have a pass.

the beans sound yummy. i just checked my pantry and fridge and the only thing i a m missing for your recipe is brown sugar...of course, the girl who never bakes.

Jo said...

I must admit I have never thought of serving baked beans at a bbq... thanks for that idea.

Happy 4th of July!

Stacy said...

I'm with Jo - I never knew to serve beans with bbq but it makes sense..here in canada we have a Ribfest wweek where a bunch of stands from the US come to compete who has the best ribs and they always serve baked beans with it!!

Jolene said...

Oh thank you for the recipe. I have been wanting to get rid of Pork n Beans we have so many. Todd saw a great deal and stocked up on them and we haven't made any since. Now I can get rid of some of them with a new recipe to try. Eeck so excited. The chicken does look good, I can see why you can't wait to try it. How lucky are you to have a pool at home!

Happy 4th of July!

Jen said...

Lookie here I am actually commenting!! Don't you feel loved? The twins actually have slept the last 2 nights so I am feeling good for the moment ;). We always do hamburgers for 4th of July. Side dish is either my Beefy Baked Beans (kinda like the calico beans just a few differences) or bean dip and tortilla chips,(refried beans, mexi or colby jack cheese, salsa all mixed together and heated up in the micro yum!). Today we are going with easy and doing the bean dip. And I finished making the twins shirts yesterday so they all have matching shirts this year.

VandyJ said...

We are lucky the wind sock we have is flag themed. Otherwise we just don't decorate.
I like baked beans but we usually do Bushes. they taste the same.

tammy said...

Happy 4th!

We usually just stay home and swim and BBQ too, then catch the fireworks at the local farm from our front yard.

My baked beans are like yours, but with green pepper added. That's the way my mom always made them, so it's tradition.

That chicken looks yummy. I bought a luau marinade so that's what we're trying. Maybe some bacon-wrapped shrimp kabobs too.

Of course I dress in patriotic colors, but I kind of slacked on the decor too. Just got a few things out today.

Janan said...

The closing of the drive in movie theatre is a let down . . . especially on this day of days!!!

Randomlicious Memoirs said...

I'm kinda glad to hear others haven't gotten decorations up this year...at least I know I will get Christmas!

Renee said...

Just wanted to say that I'm crappy for enjoying your blog but never commenting even though I know you love it. I don't even remember how I found your blog.. (ramble). Anyway, I rarely comment to anyone, and live on the same street as family and see them maybe twice a month (more ramble)

Long post short: I miss your chatty blog posts. Glad you are still doing the Wednesday lists, but I thought you should know you have a "follower" (although you would disown me as I am definitely not glamorous/fab in any way LOL)

Crazymama's RAD Followers

Get up and dance!


do you ever feel like............

do you ever feel like............