Thursday, February 11, 2010

Love it or Hate it? Valentines Realizations/Confessions plus Tales of Valentines Past day 4

I have come to realize not everyone loves Valentines day.

I fully understand why people don't love Valentines day.

I get ya if you celebrate Single Awareness day, Commercial Expression of Love Day, Anti Valentine's Day.

Sometimes I celebrate Mildly Disappointed Day (even with a husband).

Let's be real mildly disappointed day is most often celebrated by married women, and men whose wives don't put out.

Wanna know WHY I LOVE VALENTINES DAY?

1. I'm a romantic. there is just something so delightful about giving and getting cards that say what you may think all the time, but rarely say. I like you. I think you are a great friend. I love you. You are beautiful. YOU ROCK!

2. My love languages are gifts and quality time. Valentines day is all about gifts and Quality time, even if the gift is a 50 cent box of conversation hearts and a little kids card and the quality time is after the kids have gone to bed. ;)

3. I never had a valentine, except for that one year with the roses. It wasn't the thrill in someone having me for a valentine, it was the excitement of picking my own. Picking the best wording to express my affection for that boy I had a secret crush on, hand picking the conversation hearts I was going to add to just his envelope , that said," hug me" "kiss me" "call me" .

4. The wonder of over-analyzing the wording on the cards I'd get from boys. How did he sign it? did he sign all the girls cards that way or just mine? Was there a secret message in the candy? I still get giddy thinking about it. I love that my kids do that too, treasuring the card from that special someone, even if in reality it means nothing, the thrill is in the fantasy.

5. I love the decorations, the cards, the colors, the candy. love it all. For me, the giving is just as fun as getting something. It's better than Christmas for me because you get the thrill of giving, with none of the expectation, obligation or stress that accompanies Christmas. It can be the littlest thing, but it tells you you are loved and remembered on that day.

6. Valentines day was one holiday where my Dad (who had very little to do with us girls) actually remembered us. Even when money was tight we'd get some trinket or gift. A cheap heart shaped watch. A blown glass swan vase with colored water and a cheap carnation. He kinda sucked the rest of the time but for Valentines day, we were special. He was a romantic too I guess, he said if he ever got remarried it would be on Valentines day. So when he married his Gay partner, it was on Valentines day. (I wasn't invited but that's another story) you wish you were me right now don't you?i know it's hard not to. LOL ;)

Realization- I think I preferred Valentines day as a little kid more than when I was a teenager or young adult. I mean it's a little awkward handing out cards with hidden messages to your secret crush when no one else is doing it, not that you don't want to but it's not socially acceptable and the fear of rejection is so great. as awkward as that is I LOVE LOVED the Valentines dances. love songs, slow dancing, what is not to love?

Whatever you wanna call it and however you celebrate it, go for it.

Ya know, I haven't sent out my valentines yet. maybe you wanna speak up and say you want one from me, it can be arranged. ;)

~~

My own husband hates Valentines day and thinks it's the most commercialized, ridiculous excuse of a holiday.

He throws me a bone usually and attempts to humor me because he knows I love it. but the first year we were together on Valentines day, you can imagine my dismay at the announcement that HE didn't participate in Valentines day festivities and had no intention of showering me with gifts and flowers and heartfelt cards.

Let's just leave it at, there were tears over it, (and maybe some shouting). I mean really, after getting Roses from a guy I'd known for 3 days the year before to getting the shaft from the guy I was engaged to? Well it obviously wouldn't sit well with me. He gave in and has attempted to participate in his least favorite holiday for the last 13 years.

wanna know why he hates it?

because, as a kid long before teachers made you include everyone in the class, he always got shafted. kids would not all give him a card. while everyone else was happily exchanging little slices of paper heaven + candy, he'd only receive a handful of cards.

how sad is that?

I can see why he hates it.

here is today's tale of Valentines past?

the best Valentines day I've ever had with the hubs - was the year I was doing my low iodine diet in prep for a Thyrogen induced whole body scan for my thyroid cancer follow-up. The hubs baked me special sugar cookies with non-iodized salt from scratch because I was devastated that my test prep was the week of Valentines day and couldn't have any of the standard delights that make the holiday so fabulous for me. I blogged about it Here

best line from that post? "I guess all I have left that makes valentines a decent holiday is sex. good thing I am guaranteed that tonight!"



for those that celebrate ANTI-VALENTINES DAY here is a playlist for you.


So? how do you feel about Valentines day?

did you ever love it? why? what made it special?

If you hate it , wanna share why?



wanna know my best valentine tricky trick? every year when the stores have all valentines merchandise marked down 75-90% off, I buy the kids their stuffed animals , and hoard them away to give to them on Valentines day. it makes it way cheaper but the effect is just as good.

AWESOME!

I confess, I hate the candy wrappers, and the hoarding of every freaking card they get and the collection bag or box. save one or two special ones, and chuck the rest please.



Oh, and have you seen that meme/tag on FB -

To Celebrate Valentine's Day, Change your Profile Picture to you and your spouse/secret lover/significant other. Make sure to indicate how long you've been together! Copy and Paste this to your profile

yeah that's not gonna suck at all for those that don't have a spouse/secret lover/significant other.

it's like sitting at your desk waiting to get a card and everyone giving you the shaft all over again. not delightful.

and yet, I've got mine up. 13 years looks like this...

you know , when we are posed and fakey and after a little professional photo editing

(thank goodness)

in reality we aren't this thin, or happy.

in case the illusion sucked you in.



post signature

© 2010 crazymamaof6

8 comments:

tammy said...

I like Valentine's Day, but I refuse to be one of the couples going out to dinner for it. That's too cliche. And I told Luvpilot not to get me flowers this year. They're way too expensive and I'd rather spend the money for something else. Like an entire Cheesecake Factory cheesecake (which I think I'll pick up for him).

Honestly, we have his b-day in Oct, my b-day in Nov, then Christmas, then our anniversary in Jan, so by the time V-day comes, it's not really that big of deal. And as long as I make Valentine cookies, my family is happy.

Jodi said...

It's never really been special here. I usually give the hubs a card (or make one with the lips on folded construction paper that bounce out). I find myself desperately looking for his card every year lol!! I know he loves me--he says it--and shows it--every day (whether I deserve it or not). I usually get the kids something small and they are thrilled, even my son who is too old for his own good at 10 1/2. My husband doesn't give flowers. He never has...(at least not to me) but I really wish he would...at least once..

jayna said...

love the post.

actually, i don't like valentines day. at all. never have. i would say i am a romantic but not in the traditional hearts and cupid sort of way. i don't like that it's a hallmark holiday and seemingly the one day a year that people try to show love. i would WAY rather have my man do small things throughout the year and give just a passing wave to v day. maybe it's the cheese factor for me. too many goopy hearts and bears.

maybe (as i psychoanalyze) its that i don't trust the day. just because someone shows affection on that day, i would rather see it all through the year.

am i making sense? and sorry to be a fun hater. ha ha ha.

my mom always used to send me a frog and some super cheesy decorations. that was a tradition for a long time. and i looked forward to it every year. even when i was in london, she sent me a little box. those are the best memories.

hugs, (and hearts for you because i know you love them)

DEANNA said...

YOU ARE SO FUNNY WOMAN!

AS FOR VALENTINE'S DAY. IT IS A NO GO FOR ME WHEN IT COMES TO THE HUBS. I THINK THIS IS WHY HE MARRIED ME, BESIDES THE FACE THAT I AM DOUBLE JOINTED... HAHAH SERIOUSLY THOUGH...

I WAS RAISED TO LOVE THE ONE YOU CHOSE EVERY SINGLE DAY. NOT ONE DAY OUTTA THE YEAR. PLUS I GOT REAL LUCKY... MINE LETS ME BUY WHATEVER I WANT WHENEVER I WANT. GOTTA LOVE THAT MORE THAN A SHARP STICK IN MY EYE.

I DO LITTLE THINGS FOR MY KIDS AS WELL. LIKE PIZZA OR SOMETHING LIKE GIANT CHOCOLATE LIPS THIS YEAR!!!!

Susan said...

My dad always brings all his daughters and daughter-in-laws their own box of Sees. Its like clockwork and I love it. (Just got mine in the mail today.) I don't like to waste our $ on Valentines flowers-I always tell him wait a week and save yourself a bundle! So other than that we go to dinner and/or a movie. With kids its fun to make them happy with heart shaped stuff.


...btw your pretty cute as and adult too...editing or not.

Cecily R said...

First: You look HOT in that picture. Seriously.

Second: I don't mind Valentine's Day, but I also don't mind if Jon doesn't do anything for it (we can never afford anything at this time of year anyway).

Third: I decorated the gym at the kids' school today for Isaac's VALENTINE'S DANCE. I'm freakin' out over here...he's not supposed to grow up like that.

Leslie said...

Not a fan of Valentines Day!! I think it is too commercialized. I would rather get a bouqet of flowers just because and not because it's valentines day and the world says I need some!!

Jeremy's Birthday is on the 12th so we usually do something for that.

I do admit that I like all the decorations but I really do like roses the other 364 days of the year too!!

Jen said...

V-day kinda gets the shaft in our house since our anniversary is the day before and that takes precendent. Although I try and always do something cute for them all on V-day. When Jeff was working from his car I left heart shaped notes in places that he would look, on the visor, in the trunk on his printer, a few pages in on his clipboard, etc so he would find them through out the day, or slip a note in his pocket or something. No money really spent but something fun. Love the post!

Crazymama's RAD Followers

Get up and dance!


do you ever feel like............

do you ever feel like............